Blood of the Vampire

Leyla sank her sharp, little teeth into the body of the rat, that sat, transfixed in her hands.  On board The Ram, as it sailed towards Chenga, she had lured rats to her, with her scent and drained their blood to sustain her through the long voyage.  It looked like here in the spice mines of Atul-Kesh, there would be more of that, but she smiled, as she thought there were other options here, too.

It was then that she heard the faint whisper, coming from down, close to her feet.

'Leyla... Leyla.'  It was quiet, but there it was.

The young girl moved to the sack by her toes and pulled back the heavy cloth.  Inside was the head of her mistress: Mia-Karla... and her mistress was starting to awake.

'Leyla... Leyla.'  Again, came the faint call.  It must be time.  Leyla licked her lips and raised her wrist above the head of Mia-Karla.  Leyla's sharpened nails, now more like claws, dragged across her wrist and blood began to drip on to the barbed and spiked head below.  Leyla watched, in the blue haze of her night vision, as the essence of her life seeped into the dark scales of Mia-Karla.  Those very same scales swelled, with each sweet drop of life and began to shimmer.

The eyes of the head flicked open and showed, glowing red and slit, like those of a serpent.  The mouth of Mia-Karla opened to reveal sharpened fangs.  Leyla placed her bleeding wrist to the open mouth.

The red eyes of Mia-Karla became blue and the barbed spines became flowing, lustrous blonde hair.  As more and more blood seeped from Leyla into the open mouth of Mia-Karla, the head began to rise.

Leyla, her life-force all but spent. collapsed to the ground, but her mistress had now returned.

Mia-Karla licked her bloodstained lips, unfolded her wings, and beat them steadily through the air.

'Now, my pretty, pretty.  Time for some fun... I think.'