Gamora Fang Fish

Eylana had wondered whether she had made the right decision to join up with the gang of Peytahn prisoners on the Island of Chenga, but now she realized she'd  made a smart move.  Above all else, Peytahns were survivors.

'Say, Goresh, why do they call it the gamora fang fish?'  One of the Peytahns asked another.

'I don't know, why do they call it the gamora fang fish?

'Because... once one bites you, you're buggered.'

The other Peytahn, just looked confused.  They stood on the dock and were wrapping the man who had made the joke with cloth, leather and heavy furs.  He wore heavy gloves on his hands and thick boots, that rose to his knees.  Eylana was helping to wrap the man in the extra clothing and now wondering just what was going on.

'And why are we doing this?'  Eylana pointed down at the ridiculous amount of clothing the man was now wearing.

'We told you... we're going fishing.'

Eylana was still none the wiser.

'Okay.  That should do it.'  The large Peytahn was now even bulkier, as he stood wadded out with all the extra clothing.  'Now we just need the fishermen.'

A team of the tallest and fittest Peytahns strode up the dock, with ropes and began fastening them to man on the dock.  They tested the knots and, finally, seemed happy with their work.

'Time to fish.'  With that the Peytahn leapt into the calm, cold sea of Deadman's Bay.

Eylana looked down, as a plume of water rose up into the air and watched, as the man came to the surface.  With his arms and legs, he began to splash the flat surface of the water, until white, foaming froth surrounded him.  The other Peytahns kept the ropes taut, to hold him up.  It was then that Eylana finally clued in to what was happening.

A grey fin cut the water, as a gamora fang fish surfaced.  From the look of its shadow, under the water, it was four or five feet long... and so, only a small one.  A second, and then a third fin appeared, circling the man, who carried on splashing the water.  It took just a matter of seconds for the fish to close in for the kill.

The Peytahn made no sound, as the five foot long fish clamped down on his leg.  The timing was now critical.  The Peytahn gang leader gave out a shout, 'Reel him in boys...and quick before those other two come in to pull him apart.'

The gang of giant Peytahns yanked on the ropes and pulled both the man and the massive fish onto the dock.  The fang fish's jaws were still clamped to the man's thigh, but its tail thrashed from side to side on the wooden planks of the dock.  With efficiency, the Peytahns clubbed the gamora fang fish about the head, until it finally let go of its prey and gasped its last breath.  The Peytahns then set about gutting and filleting the fish.  This was fishing... Peytahn style.

Eylana looked down at the man who lay on the dock, to see blood seeping through the thick layers of cloth and fur.  The Peytahn, seemingly unconcerned, also looked down.  'Hmmm, maybe a few more layers of fur, next time.'

Eylana turned to the Peytahn the other had called Goresh.  'How do the other gangs survive here on Chenga?'  She was beginning to re-assess whether she had made the right move in joining the Peytahns.

'The Verelag hunt up on the rocks of the cliffs.  There are hokioi: giant fish eagles, that nest up there.  We tried hunting the eagles and collecting their eggs, but the cliffs are near vertical and the hokioi can pluck you straight off the rocks.  Even down here we are at risk from them.  The Verelag are sure-footed, as they climb the cliffs, with their claws and teeth, they can bring down the eagles.  Seeing the Verelag hunt... now that is a sight worth seeing.  The K'Vathin and Turrah hunt in a swamp, where there are karrack eels, that is, when the swamp isn't frozen.  The Turrah lay in wait and catch the eels in their jaws.  The Shaddan, Murga, Treaga and Minbultai live on rats... and we, as you see, fish.  That's about all the food there is on Chenga, until the boat comes in.'

'How long have you been here?'

'About a year... and that's a long time here.'

'What was your crime?'  Eylana looked into the young Peytahn's eyes and he laughed, revealing his long canine teeth.

'Our clan leader failed to pay the Kula-Mar for his supply of spice; so three of our clan were sent here, to pay off the debt by mining the spice. And now, I'm the only one from our clan still alive here.'  A look of anger and resentment shone from the young Peytahn's eyes.  'How about you?'

'Oh, I'm innocent.'  Eylana grinned, to try to lift the mood.

'In that case, you're the only innocent one on Chenga.  All of us are guilty of something, even if it was just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.'  As he spoke the boy sounded wise beyond his years.

'Well,  I was definitely in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Who's been on the island the longest?'

'Of the Peytahns, it's our gang boss Gor-Kahn.  He's been here about five years, which has to be a record.  In the Murga and Treaga gang though, there's supposed to be an old man, a priest, no-one knows how long he's been here.  He must have the gods working overtime for him, though.'

'What's the priest's name?'

'Cauthen.'  As the Peytahn said this, a smile came to Eylana's mouth.  A distant memory of a Priest of the Shardahn Temple at Kimlar, came flooding back to her, but that was from a long time ago.  Her talking and thoughts were then cut short.

'Okay, girly, you're up... we need fresh bait.'

Eylana looked down at the still water and the circling grey fins... and the smile faded from her face.