chapter 4

(A week later)

Haku POV

I walked back and fourth, nervous. Moms been gone for a while and it's worrying me. She hasn't send us any message that she was fine. Then Aimi came in the room, holding her dolly. I sighed, looking at her. "What is it my little sister". I asked. She looked down, sad. "I want mommy". She said, about to cry. I sighed, holding her up. "Oh. Don't cry. Don't cry. Mommy gonna come back. You'll see. She's gonna bring home all kind of desserts like ice cream and chocolate and gummies". I said, tickling her stomach which made her laugh. I chuckled. She sighed, holding her dolly. "..I miss daddy". She whispered. I sighed, hugging her tighter. "I know you do..I do too...but daddy will always be with us...in our hearts..no matter what. his spirit is protecting us, no matter what and maybe..maybe somewhere out there...he's alive..and he's protecting us". I said, trying not to cry. Tears flew down her eyes. I sighed, wiping them away and hugging her. Then Haurki, my sister, part of the young children gasped. "Big brother. mother has finally contacted us". She said. I gasped, looking down at Aimi. 

I rushed to the living area where all the kids were. I ran in front, seeing the magic globe light up. Then mother appear, smiling. We all grinned, relief that she was still alive. "MOTHER". We yelled. She sighed. "Oh. My children. My darlings. I'm sorry I haven't been in touch. It's just...some things has happened that's to idiotic to explain". She said. I sighed. "What has happened". I asked. She sighed. "Well. While I was walking thru the village I encounter with the furies I talked about before. Remember". She asked. We nodded. "Did they hurt you". Ainu asked, worried. Mother rolled her eyes. "No. You know the humans. Weak and vulnerable. In fact these men killed them. Since I saw the whole thing they took me in for questioning and now I am in this place that's called the..Shinsengumi". She said, in confusion. We looked around, confused, to see if anyone new. "Any of you know of such a thing". She asked. One of the smartest siblings, Daichi, pulled up his glasses, walking in front. "I have done some research on there back ground and it is said they are a special police force organized by the Bakufu which is a military government". He said. "Ah. I see. I see. know it makes since". She said. I stared at her. "Did anything else happened along the way". Ainu asked. She only stared at us. 

Chizuru POV

..should I tell them..but..but he's not even the real Hijikata..he's a disgrace. He's not the Hijikata that I once new...the Hijikata I new was sweet and..and kind and strong..he did whatever he could to help his people and his children..he died protecting us..he can't even protect himself. He doesn't deserve my children. I don't even know why I would cry for him. I don't even know why I thought he was Hijikata in the first place. I cleared my throat, looking at the ground. "No um..nothing else happened". I said. Ainu smiled. "At least your safe and not hurt". She said. I smiled at her. Then Aimi whined, holding her hand out to me. "Mommy..". She said, tears streaming down her eyes. I gasped, trying to reach for her but...only realizing it was only a vision of my children. I sadden. "Aimi. Please don't cry my princess. Everything will be okay. Soon i'll come home where it's safe and stay with you and all your brothers and sisters". I said. She stared at me, sadness in her eyes. "My darling". I whispered. Then I heard someone walking. I gasped and looked at them. "I must go. Please. Stay safe my children and do not leave the castle. I'll come back". I said, closing the globe and looking at the door. 

Haku POV

We all stared at the wall, sad. Mother..we cannot lose you today. But I must confess that I feel as if your hiding something from us..like there's something you have found that makes you more sad then ever. 

Chizuru POV

Hijikata opened the door, glaring at me. "I need you to clean the headquarters". He said. I sighed, getting up. "Alright". I said, about to leave but he held my arm. I looked up at him, confused. He looked down at me, pleading in his eyes. "..please..tell me that you know me". He said. I just stared at him. 

(Time skip)

We were sitting down on the floor, guessing he wanted to know about me. "Is there a problem". I asked. He shook his head. "No. It's just..every time I go to sleep..it's the same dream. You..you are always in it". He said. I stared at him. "Every night. You would always tell me you love me and..and you would talk about..these..kids that were ours". He said, to my shock. I kept staring at him. "But..I don't even know anything about kids or..you even. I..I always thought that I was crazy..falling in love with a imaginary girl but..now..now I know she's real". he said. I looked at the floor. "But last time. You came to the witnessing room and you said my name as if you new me and..Harada too. and you mentioned the kids too". He said. I breathed, not looking into his eyes. "Do we..know each other...are we even together". he asked. I closed my eyes. Even if he tried he is still Hijikata. The greatest king of all of them. but him..he has no name..no army...no kindness...no strength or courageousness..he..he is the opposite of what Hijikata was. I can't even bare looking at him. I sighed, looking at him. "No. I thought you were another man that I new..but obliviously I was wrong". I said and faked smiled. He gave me a confused look. "But. You said Me and Harada's name's...you have to know us if you know our name". He said. I sighed, getting up. "I'll start cleaning". I said, going out. I felt him rush after me. "Wait". He said but I kept walking. No one is to know about us...about how Hijikata came to be..how he married me..how he asked me to lay 8000 of his children...how he died..and how we lived..and hid from the world. 

(Time skip. Dream)

I was on grass, trying to figure out why I was here. "Hello". I asked. Then..a appearance of Hijikata came. He smiled at me. "My love". He said.I grinned, hugging him. "My love". I said, gasping, hugging him tighter, tears flowing down my eyes. "...I miss you". I said. He shushed me, wiping my tears away. I sighed, looking at him. "...until the sun rises in the west and sets in the east..until the river runs dry...and until the mountains blow in the wind like leaves. What did you mean by that". I asked. He stared at him and held my cheek. Then he came to my ear and whispered something. "...that is when I will come back". He whispered. I gasped.

(Present)

I woke up, gasping for air. I cleared my throat, looking around. I sighed, holding my face.