1

It all started with my name. If my parents, well more accurately, my mom, hadn't named me Indie when I was born all would have been different.

She says I should love my name, Indie, she says, stands for 'individual', and I should be lucky,she lectures me, that I'm different... Whatever.

If only kids my age had the same take on things.

It's not like I get tormented or anything, actually a lot of people rather like my name. It's just those couple of people who'll give me the occasional mock.

Like Tex for example. But in his case it's not exactly occasional, I'd probably call it constant.

To say him and I don't get along would be safe.

But as my best friend, Kay, always tells me, we're mature girls in college and stupid immature jerks should not deter us in the least. Kay's amazing, we've been friends ever since I can remember.

"So, who's excited?!" I tune back into Mrs Grady Lexmins overly enthusiastic squawk.

Everyone shouts and I roll my eyes and turn to see Kay, next to me, cheering along with everyone, the loudest. Trust Kay to be the most into whatever the teachers are saying...

I nudge her elbow none too gently and she turns to look at me confused. I mouth, "What's happening?" She chuckles and whispers, "Everyone's getting a secret buddy's phone number and they have to become friends with them without knowing who it is! Then, at thanksgiving, which is in three weeks, we all find out!"

"Okay, so you can all go to lunch!" Mrs Lexmins calls loudly, dismissing us all.

"Lame..." I mutter, bored, getting out of the chair and walking to the huge door.

Kay follows, lightly hitting my arm, "Cmon Indie! Get into it!" She encourages.

"Dude, it's gaaaay,"

She laughs, "It so isn't, it's actually a really cute idea!"

We've reached the lockers by now so I unscrew my lock and pull out my lunch.

I'm following Kay to the mall across the road to eat, when my phone buzzes. Irritated, I pull it out and read a text from an unknown number. It says, 'hi' just the two letters.

"Kay!" I call out, and she spins around, mid conversation with Tina.

I call out the unknown number, "Do you know who's number this is?" I ask loudly.

Kay has just about every person in the worlds number in her contacts. I swear that girl's friends with more people than the queen is friends with.

Tina laughs, "Indie, she may have allota numbers but she ain't gonna remember them off by heart!" She calls in her South African accent.

Kay nods and points to Tina "What she said,"

I roll my eyes and repeat the number.

She shrugs, "Ind, I'm so sorry but I don't have that number, why?"

"Damn, you suck. Some random just texted me, whatever... "

"Oohhh!! It's from your buddy!!" Kay and Tina both squeal, running over to me.

"Guys, chill, it just said hi, nothing special, chill."

"So, what ya gonna write back!?" Tina asks, eyes huge in anticipation.

I scoff, "Yeah, about that... remember how I said I'm not so into this whole thing...?"

"Oh you got to be kidding me!" Kay cries, grabbing my phone.