3. Blue Lagoon

"It's Friday night, call off and come hangout with Jace and I for once!" Savannah pouted and her big blue eyes begged.

"I can't, we need to be able to cover rent, you know." I sighed and left the apartment, giving up my freedom along with it.

---*---*---*---*---

The Blue Lagoon was packed with men and women who's clothes could feed a family of four for a week if sold. You could only get in if your wallet was big enough. The line outside the building was always long, and the likelihood of someone like me ever getting in this place was slim, you'd have to know the right person and even then it was a shot in the dark. The only reason I could step foot in a place like this was because waitressing here was my second part-time job.

The walls were lined with blue and gold coloring with white tables and booths along the wall, blue satin hung from the ceiling in waves and the lighting was dim. The bar was in the middle of the floor with white bar stools and white table tops. The music in the background was light yet dramatic, creating an air of welcoming and the illusion of false promises. People who would normally keep to themselves started to mingle as drinks flowed into them. I was serving a couple who were sitting in one of the booths as they ordered drinks and appetizers as my manager walked up to me.

"Alana, you are being requested.” Shelly said suspiciously.

 For the three months I have been working here, I have never been requested by anyone. There were private rooms that to even get into you had to reserve months in advance. Why would this person ask for me?

 “Look, you have to be on your top game tonight. He’s our best customer and one screw up could mean us losing a lot.” Shelly folded her arms and glared. She was mad.

 I carried the heavy platters into the dimly light room. The sound of a violin was streaming through the air, the patio door was open and as the wind blew, blue curtains fluttered with it. Goose bumps rose on my arms. It was summer but the wind felt chilly. I sat the food on the table in the center of the room. Looking around the large room, it looked empty. A white couch wrapped around one wall with blue and gold pillows, a private bar was in one corner were a half empty bottle of wine sat. Compared to what was on the opposite side of the door to this room, it was darker, less lively. Squinting I could barely make out a silhouette. He was standing outside, leaning against the balcony, arms crossed and looking straight at me.

 The background behind him was beautiful. The moon nearly full with no clouds in sight, it lit the outside world in a glow. Waves crashed behind him from Lake Michigan. My breath caught in my throat. I couldn’t make out his face but his stature, the way he stood so casually brought a sense of familiarity. My heart started to pick up pace. As we stood looking at each other the only sound was from the waves crashing and music coursing softly. I wanted to get closer, to stand near him. He made no attempt to step back into the room or move at all.

 “Um, your order…” Was all I could say before the smell of peppermint hit me.

 “Alana Marie White, in the flesh.” His voice was like honey, sickly sweet, deep.

 My knees grew weak at the sound of my name. My body felt heavy, like every ounce of strength I had left. It felt as though I haven’t slept in days.

 “Who…?” Every movement I did felt dramatic and slow, like I was in a trance. I sank to my knees on the floor and looked up.

 I didn’t see him enter the room but the next thing I knew was that he was standing in front of me looking down at the position I was in. A small smile was playing on his lips, and this time I could make out the clear definition of his face. Green sharp eyes, strong jaw with stubble, dark hair. He looked like a predator waiting for his next meal.

  He was wearing a simple grey v-neck that hugged his chest, with loose jeans. It couldn’t be the same person that was in my dream the night before… right?

 “You look lovely like this. On your knees, where you belong. ” His hand reached down to cup my cheek lightly, I rubbed against him like a cat in heat. Every inch of me wanted to be as close to him as I possibly could. His smile grew even wider.

 My breath grew heavier and each time I blinked it grew harder to keep them open.

 “Sleep.” He whispered and everything grew dark as my vision faded.

 ---*---*---*---*---*---

 The sun was hot against my face, it was mid-summer. I was in the mountains of our family cabin that we use to go to all the time. Wild flowers grow in abundant and I was under my favorite tree that provided little shade during this time of the day. The cicadas were loud in the tree tops.

 “Alana…” The sound of my name was soft spoken.

 I squinted my eyes to see past the blaring sun’s rays and the man at the Blue Lagoon was standing in the middle of the wild floor bed. He lifted a finger beckoning me to come forward. I shook my head. No way in hell was I coming towards him, but even when I made this resolve, it felt like I was going against my own body. What did he do to me? The amount of questions I had for this man were immeasurable, yet I was sitting here not saying a word.

 I cleared my throat “Who are you?”

 He tilted his head to the side, looking at me quizzically, like I’ve asked something perplexing and out of this world. The expression made him look young and naïve, something I already knew was completely false. He began to walk towards me, his gaze never leaving mine. I backed up against the tree and looked around.

 “What are we doing here?!” He stopped mid-stride. Maybe I could distract him.

 Finally he spoke. “You brought us here.”

 I shook my head again, no. I didn’t bring us here, he did. We were just at Blue’s… that’s when I noticed his outfit was different from when we were at the bar. Designer shoes, slick dress pants, white button down shirt, black blazer, topped off with a simple black tie, just like the night before.

 “It’s time, Alana. You’re mine”

Shit.