Chapter 11

The cave is basically a little hole in the cliff face a few metres up. I found it on one of the days when I got in to a similar situation. It was about a third of the way up the cliff and I began to climb, it didn't take long. The rain came down harder just as I swung myself into the cave. it wasn't much but it was dry and the tide didn't come this high up so I was safe. It was also deep enough to block out most of the wind.

I sat crossed legged and pulled my jacket around me. Out of my bag I pulled my shoes, a pair of socks, leggings and a torch. I took off my shorts, put my leggings and socks on then put my shorts back on and the my shoes. That should keep me a bit warmer on my legs, especially as the leggings are thermal. I also had a blanket in my bag that I placed around my shoulders. You can tell I've done this before, now I always came prepared to not go home.

I move to the back of the cave where it's driest and warmer. I pull out my phone and check Facebook. Most people are complaining about the sudden change in weather, how it's ruined their days. I do still update now and then, I got abuse on there but it has stopped now so I feel better about saying things. I update my status to "sitting in my little cave as the sea rises threatening to engulf me". It's dramatic which is what people will think of it but it is actually very literal. It doesn't matter really as no one will see it I don't have too many friends now.

I lean my head back closing my eyes for what I thought was a second but when I opened them I found the sky darker and realised an hour had passed I look out at the sea and with a start realise it's only a few cm's from spilling over into the cave. I pull my phone out of my pocket to call for help and there is two missed calls of an unknown number again. I ignore them and go to call 999.

Before I can press the 9 for the third time, my phone rings, unknown. On instinct I answer it, not letting the caller get a word out before I tell them I need help and where I am.

"Please help me the sea is nearly here, it's guna take me out," I cry into the phone next. The phone line goes dead and all I can think is "those bastards, how can they just leave me here and ignore me". I go back to calling 999 for help but my phone promptly dies on me.

"What, nooooo. This can't be happening." I cry out into the wind.

I lean out of the cave and look up, there is no way I could climb up. I can't swim round, I'm not that good of a swimmer. I pull back to the furthest a part of the cave and pull my torch out. If a boat goes by maybe I can use it to get their attention. The rain still pounded down and the wind kept howling past getting more vicious by the second. There is nothing I can do but hope the water doesn't come any closer and the storm turns the other way.