seventeen

Rosalina

Rosalina

Later that night, I'm out for dinner with Emyln and her friend, Anabelle. It's a delightful distraction. Ever since Kate pulled me aside, I've been worried about Luke. If he's been lying to me... I've been working his knee for months, the exercises becoming more and more intense as the weeks pass. There could be irreparable damage.

Combined with alcohol and girl talk, Luke will be removed from my mind.

We're at a trendy restaurant, enjoying a glass of red wine while we chat about the usual, casual topics. It's a nice change of scenery. While I like Luke, I get sick of talking about him. It seems like an invasion of his privacy. What happens at the rehab centre is between me and Luke. Which is why I decided I needed a break from my friends, too. My friends continue to ask questions despite knowing I can't reveal confidential information. At least Emmy's friends don't know I'm the physical therapist helping the famous Luke Madden get back on the ice. Or if they do, they say nothing.

Aside from my friends being Luke-fanatics, Emyln needs help to make some final wedding decisions. Hence the reason we're here now, enjoying wine and food.

"Okay," Emyln says, dropping her binder onto the table. She looks at us. "I know we're missing one bridesmaid, and she's possibly going to murder me for doing this without her, but time is ticking. We're already a week into June, meaning there's just under two months until mine and Hainsey's wedding."

I smile and take another sip of my wine. Emyln's always been organized. From the beginning, she knows what she wants and how she'll get it. Three years ago, she returned to Whistler to reunite with Hainsey. It petrified me. There was bad blood between them. I thought Emmy was going to get hurt because of the bad blood. But she proved me wrong. After summer ended, she had won her best friend back. Now they're getting married.

"I want everything to be perfect," she continues. "After the shit Hains has been through, he deserves the perfect wedding."

I look at my sister with sympathy. "You deserve the perfect wedding after everything you've been through."

She looks at me, emotion visible in her muddy green eyes. "Hains has been through worse than me."

I reach out and squeeze my sister's hand. "Then let's make this perfect for him."

Emyln smiles at me. "Okay, so as you all know, Hains and I want a country-themed wedding. Sunflowers and baby's breath, burlap, Mason jars with candles, et cetera. We've decided on our décor and the DJ, but we need to get a move on with the food. I've narrowed it down to three caterers in Whistler, but I can't decide on which one I want. All have splendid reviews and great options for meals."

Emyln lays out the three crisp pieces of paper so we can go over them. I skim through the papers, taking note of the options and their prices. I'm game for halibut and salmon—I'm a seafood lover—but when I see the price, I push that one away. No way am I suggesting my sister spend that much money. Okay, I know our parents and grandparents are donating some money for their wedding, along with Hainsey's mom, but still. That's a lot of money for food.