nine

Rosalina

Rosalina

The cookies were an apology, despite me not baking them. Looking back, I should've stuck around and played a buffer role. Luke was uncomfortable around his teammate and girlfriend. Aside from ensuring my client's comfortableness, I should've stuck around to explain the process of movement to them. Luke requires limited casual movement of his knee. And had he fallen or turned it the wrong way...

There's also another factor at play. Luke's loneliness. He has spoken little about his emotions, but it's safe to say he's been anti-social since he arrived here. He refuses to eat in the cafeteria; food has been delivered to his room every morning and evening. I've also noticed he skips lunch, but snack throughout the day. Specifically on mini jam sandwiches. Dietary habits aside, Luke's social life is isolated from the outside world, despite the opportunities for people to visit or for him to chat via Zoom or FaceTime. Every so often, I also catch him gazing at the area with a fiery longing in his eyes. He misses hockey. And judging by how involved he is in the community, I think he likes the idea of getting cookies for signing some merch. That, and he expressed his excitement moments ago.

I shake my head, finishing the paperwork. Thanks to an extensive conversation with the doctor, Luke is now permitted to walk around for ten minutes five times a day. While these past several days have been progressive, I'm wary about letting him walk around so much. But I can't prevent him from getting outside for some fresh air—especially when spring is showing.

Besides, he's been cooperative. I doubt he'll abuse these newfound privileges and risk re-injuring himself. Also, he depends still on the crutches.

"Rosa?" Luke asks. He comes hobbling into the main room. His black hair is slicked back today, with a few rogue strands caressing his forehead. The grey workout T-shirt he's wearing has a few darker spots from droplets of water down the front, and it hangs on his frame. I feel a pinch of sadness. An athlete's workout routine is robust. Everything about this experience must feel wrong.

"Yes?" I ask.

He blows a raspberry, casting his gaze to the window. Today, the weather is perfect. It's sunny and clear, and the blue sky looks as intense as the city's backdrop. Below us, the courtyard is free of any human activity. You can also see the rose bushes turning green. "Can we start today with a walk outside? I'm feeling... claustrophobic."

I take a moment to ponder his request. A slow walk would be a good warm-up for the planned rehab exercises. "Okay," I reply.

Luke's face brightens in the most subtle way. "Great," he replies, trying to keep his excitement down. "Should I wear a jacket?"

"Probably," I reply. "April weather is unpredictable across Canada, as you know."

He grins. "Hot under the sun. Cold in the shade. I know it all too well."

My mouth pinches to one side. "Do you want some help?"

Without hesitation, Luke nods and brings himself over to the bed. He sits on the edge, leaning his crutches against the nightstand. I set my clipboard down on the counter, grab his jacket from the hanger, and then help him shrug it on. Being in such proximity to Luke makes me a little breathless. His cologne smells delicious—spicy, with notes of freshness. Cloves and cedar, maybe? It makes my body turn warm. Smell is one of the most attractive things about an already-attractive man.