five

Rosalina

Rosalina

Luke has an amusing sense of humour. As well as an interesting thought pattern. Him figuring I wanted to see him naked is amusing. While his body, I'm sure, is admirable to look at, this is my job. My goal is to help him bathe without undoing the effects of the operation.

As I'm prepping the shower, I review the safety components in my head. On the floor, there's a mat with a grippy texture to prevent him from slipping. Metal handles are installed on all sides to allow support. And, just beneath the shower head, is a built-in seat. There are dispensers for soap, body wash, shampoo, and conditioner.

I turn the water on, letting it heat until it's just past being lukewarm. Then I close the door and make sure the towels are in place.

Exiting the bathroom, I see Luke standing at the window, gazing down upon the city. From here, you can see the Scotiabank Arena, where Toronto's NHL team usually plays. From the limited side view, I can see the devastating expression on his face. The muscles in his firm jaw are tense and he's rubbing the side of his face. There are endless possibilities about what's going through his mind, but I'm positive he's thinking about tomorrow's first game in the playoffs.

"Luke?" I ask.

He blinks and looks at me, those earthy blue-green eyes meeting mine. "Sorry. I was thinking about the game." He expels a deep breath and looks at the arena again. "Hard not to when I'm looking at my second home."

My voice is soft when I say, "We could find you another room."

"Nah," he waves off my comment. "It's okay. Seeing the arena will motivate me to fix my knee."

"That's a good approach," I nod. "Are you ready? The shower's going and everything's ready. I can get a male co-worker if you're more comfortable with that."

"Yeah, sounds good. And no, that's fine. I'm not shy with my body."

I gnaw on the inside of my cheek, taken aback by his bold statement. From my research source (AKA Hainsey), I learned Luke has a girlfriend. So that retracted any assumptions I had about him being the type to hook up. Which is why his comment is a little surprising to me.

But I shake off that surprise and follow him into the bathroom. His personal life is none of my business.

On his crutches, Luke enters the bathroom. After surveying the area, an uncomfortable expression passes across his face.

"Last time I'll mention it," I say, "are you sure you don't want a male co-worker to help you?"

Luke shakes his head. "It's fine. I want to get this over with. Where do we start?" He pauses, side-eyeing me. There's a small smile on his lips while he frowns. "I thought you were a physical therapist."

"Shirt. It's the easiest to take off since you're able to do it on your own." Offering him my arm, Luke takes it and I help him sit down on the built-in bench attached to the wall. "I'm both a physical therapist and an occupational therapist assistant. Qualifying for both roles is rare. Hence the reason I'm sought after. Lots of other facilities will offer me a spot, but I always decline."