Chapter 7

"Destiny? Destiny! Yo!" I heard a voice calling to me but I couldn't open my eyes, they felt too heavy.

"If you can hear me, cough, blink, whimper? Something... come on."

"Meff inie" I murmured.

"What...what the hell does that even mean?" There was a pause. "Ya know what never mind, at least you're alive."

My eyes snapped open as if from a nightmare and I took in my surroundings, hoping what I just experienced was just that. I found myself surrounded by glass on a dirty floor with the laundry machines looming above me. I realized it wasn't a dream and the person in the room with me might be Cece or Jay. I sat up quickly and felt dizzy.

"Woah buddy. Take it easy there, would ya?"

My vision swam before me but I brought my hand to my head, closed my eyes and waited until the dizziness subsided. The voice sounded nothing like the gravelly voices of Cece or Jay, so the pounding in my chest slowed.

Slowly I opened my eyes again and that's when I felt the stinging along my arms, chest, and face. I looked down and saw tiny lines of red mark my body. After another moment I realized it was blood and my eyes darted around landing on the person who was currently talking.

"-here?"

What? I said to myself.

"I said do you remember what happened here."

It was then I realized I voiced my confusion. My plan was to lie to the stranger and stick to my lie. But the person leaning on the washing machine in front of me was not a stranger.

When I still didn't answer Michelle, my suitemate, snapped her fingers in front of my face.

I tried to stand up but couldn't manage to find a way without getting glass stuck into my hands so instead I just shook my head back and forth and said, "Huh?"

Michelle looked at me and rolled her black heavily lined eyes at me and offered her hand.

Taking it I stood up and tried to brush off the dirt and glass still hanging on my clothing. Now that I was standing it was easier to see the destruction in the room. Only one single light in the corner of the room by the obnoxiously green painted door was left untouched. The light furthest from my spot was the only one left working.

I looked back at Michelle and saw her eyeing me curiously. "Um did you see what happened here by any chance?" I asked her quietly, breaking the silence.

She pursed her lips at me and sighed. "I asked you first" When I didn't answer she arched her eyebrow at me. If she felt that was going to make me talk she was wrong. There was no way for me to even form the words to explain what just happened. She rolled her eyes at me once more and asked, "What are you doing down here anyway?"

I thought the answer was obvious but she looked like she expected me to respond. I opened my mouth to speak when the black hair surrounding her narrow face moved as if a breeze was blowing. Michelle's head snapped up and she grabbed my fabric softener off of the machine next to her. She grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the hallway and up the stairs.

"We should probably get you cleaned up."

I was still too focused on Stephanie to really question anything so I simply nodded my head. My thoughts went back to the poor girl haunting my dreams and my steps faltered. I fell forward onto the steps barely catching myself with my hand. The lights were too bright in the hallway and I could only hear Stephanie's cries for help.

A light breeze blew my face and suddenly I felt calm once again.

"Come on buddy." Michelle said and grabbed me by my arm and dragged me up the stairs. A string of curses left her mouth until we reached the third floor landing.

She unlocked the door still supporting my weight and pulled me straight into her room.

Despite being suitemates for two months I had never seen the inside of her room. In fact thinking about it, this was the longest conversation we've ever had and technically it couldn't even be called that.

She pointed to her bed, "Go ahead sit down," and turned to her closet digging through it.

Her bed was simple: one white pillow at the head of the black, a black sheet folded just below the pillow, and a black blanket folded neatly at the foot of the bed. That was it. In fact looking around her room, the whole place looked as if no one was living there. No posters, decorations, or pictures from home, nothing. It was just blank, plain, off white walls.

"Yes I saw what happened down there, now tell me what you heard."

I weighed my options in my head; tell her, or keep on lying. I mean she must already think I'm crazy so why bother lying. But then her words stopped me. How did she know I heard anything?

I stared at her back and registered her clothes in the closet. Everything was either black or dark grey. Everything was also impeccably neat. The only sign of color was a deep red piece hanging at the furthest end, along with what looked a dark purple shirt right next to it. I looked at what Michelle was wearing and saw another hint of color. She was wearing a dark forest green tank top and black cargo pants.

As Michelle turned around her long straight black hair moved with her. I saw a glint of silver in her hand before she placed it into her pocket.

"Well?"

Her dark green eyes looked calm yet irritated but I found no trace of fear or uneasiness. So as I opened my mouth to tell her I didn't know what happened, my mouth had other ideas and I began to spill the truth.

"Well I didn't necessarily hear much before I passed out. I heard someone scream but it wasn't just a normal scream it couldn't have been. It was painful like abnormally painful. Then I felt energy coursing through the lights and they flashed and grew brighter and brighter. Then the glass shattered and I fainted." I shrugged.

She looked at me with knowing eyes. We both know the story didn't end there, but I wasn't going to be the one to mention that. I kept my mouth shut as she eyed me. I didn't want her to think I was crazy especially since for some bizarre reason I wanted her to trust me and for me to trust her.

She turned away first and went to her desk by the closet. She rummaged through the drawers and pulled out a strange looking bracelet and necklace. She walked over to me and handed them to me silently.

"Go on. Put them on."

I looked at her confused, "Um thanks?"

"They're on loan so don't lose them."

"What are they exactly?" I asked.

She stood silent and just gestured for me to put them on.

The bracelet was a simple black band about two inches thick and slid onto my wrist easily. Though the band was simple the stones on it were not; Tiny chips of silver rocks were stringed together and lined edges, while small bright green and orange rocks took up most of the design guarding a rectangle made up of smooth smaller black rocks which then made up two rows that were surrounding deep blue small rocks. The design somehow managed to look beautiful and not gawky. The necklace on the other hand seemed plain compared to the bracelet but you could tell they were a pair. The necklace only had six smoothed out rocks connected by a thin silver chain. I wondered why there were six rocks when the bracelet only had five when I saw that the black stones were actually separated from the blue by very deep purple stones.

I put the necklace on over the chained ring my father gave me when was younger and looked back at Michelle unsure of what to say. After a few minutes of silence she fixed that.

"You said that you didn't hear much before you passed out. What do you mean by that?"

A/N

This chapter was actually much, much, much, MUCH longer but its been so long since I've posted anything I kinda just wanted to put something up.