Chapter 14

Jake and I were walking towards my dorm when a huge gust of wind blew a pile of leaves in our way. Wind in October wasn’t a big deal and two weeks ago I wouldn’t have thought of it. I looked behind me to avoid the leaves and to discreetly check to see who was walking behind me I saw Chase huddled over laughing. I couldn’t help it, I laughed too. Chase must have heard me laugh because he glanced up at me a smile still in place. He gestured for me to walk towards him but Jake tugged my hand and walked us through the leaves. I felt the wind carry me Chase’s sigh of disappointment. 

A little over two weeks had passed since the night in the forest. I kept the bag under my bed and whenever Lacey went to sleep or went out with Rob the guy who helped her with the shopping I would tinker with the items trying for anything to happen. Nothing ever did. It’s like they knew I was scared or something. Truthfully, I was. 

Michelle and Chase did their best to explain everything but there was just too much to take in and by the time they finished it was three in the morning. They went through the elements and the gifts each person might possess depending on the strength of their connection with the element; they weren’t sure what gifts I could possibly possess because of my “unique situation”. They spoke about their training and how long they’ve known each other, the history of what we are, which I still didn’t quite grasp.

“We’re specially trained to go out and kill demons.” Michelle said in passing before continuing on to the next subject.

“WHAT!?” 

Both Chase and Michelle laughed at my befuddled expression. 

“Well we’re trained at a young age and then once we’re of age we form teams and spread out on our own to uphold the law against the Darkened. When the law is broken, depending on the severity of it, we either punish or apprehend the…” Chase hesitated looking for the right word. “Felon. Just think of us as demon police officers if you will.”

I nodded just because I knew no matter what they told me I still wouldn’t fully understand.

After about twenty more minutes of them prattling on about things they thought I should know but obviously didn’t. I couldn’t do it anymore. I faked a yawn and said I was tired as an excuse to be alone but they insisted on walking me. 

I interrupted Chase’s story of one of the best of their kind who slipped into “retirement” as Chase put it, some guy who he obviously looked up to. Despite my efforts to ignore them the wind carried me snippets of their conversation as it changed from things they wanted me to know, and things that were about me. I kept hearing words like “report her” or “too powerful” and my personal favorite “a danger to herself and those around her.” 

After hearing the last bit I couldn’t handle it anymore and I ran. They probably expected me to go straight to the dorm room but I didn’t. I kept running all the way to the other side of campus my prizes clanging in the bag. I stopped in front of where Jake lived and sat down on a bench. I pulled out the goblet and turned it this way and that. I did the same with the candle and its holder, and then pulled out the feather. I went to put the feather down onto the bench but paused. The feather wasn’t crushed or damaged at all. It was still in perfect form. Then I realized that the very sharp sword didn’t cut through the bag even as I was running. Everything was in the exact condition I found it. 

I tried to remember the feelings from earlier that forced Chase to relax but I was too drained. Everything was just too much. I stuffed the items back into my new bag and texted Jake. It took him a while to respond which is understandable considering the time but he answered and told me he would be right out.

I sat unmoving on the bench with the bag back in place on my shoulders. My knees were drawn up so I could rest my arms on them and I put my head down.