Chapter 11

Walking in the school hallways, Emi was trying to find Mitsu to give him his gift

Walking in the school hallways, Emi was trying to find Mitsu to give him his gift. Noticing the back of his head, she started rushing towards him. "Mitsu!"

Mitsu turned around, turning red in the face. "E-Emi! What are you..?"

Digging through her bag, Emi took out an origami figurine that looked like a shiba inu. "This is my White Day gift to you."

Mitsu gratefully took it, his eyes sparkling. "It looks exactly like my dog..."

Emi nodded. "That's what I was aiming for! I remembered you talking about your dog a while back. You seemed so happy about it, so I decided this would be a perfect gift. I told you that I would thank you today."

Scratching the back of his head shyly, Mitsu was trying his best to smile. "T-Thank you so much... This is the best gift anyone has ever given me."

"You're welcome. I'm glad you like it."

"I- Um... Would like to confess something. I'm... Moving away after graduation, so it seems like we won't be attending the same high school."

Emi was surprised about the news. "Really? Are you moving somewhere far?"

"Yeah... Out of the area. So before our school year ended, I wanted to tell you that... That I liked you for a long time! You don't have to accept my feelings since I know you don't feel the same. But... I just wanted to let you know how I felt about you."

She always knew he would confess. But like this? It surprised her. In response, Emi smiled. "It was very brave of you to confess your feelings to me, Mitsu. Although I cannot return your feelings, I want you to know that it made it happy."

"I understand. It felt good letting that out after holding it in for so long."

"I can imagine. I'm happy for you. And I hope after graduation, you will settle in nicely in your new home."

"Thank you, Emi." Patting his shoulder, Emi began to walk towards her class. She could tell that Mitsu was looking at her while she walked away. It felt like a satisfying closure between them.

Entering the classroom, Emi saw Sumire in the class before her. Shocker. Going over to her friend's desk, Sumire looked up and smiled. "Hey Emi! What's up?"

"I just gave Mitsu his White Day gift. I know it's unusual since it's usually the boy giving the gift to the girl. But we talked about this on Valentine's Day."

"I remember." Sumire gave her a teasing smile. "So... Do you think your crush will give you a White Day present?"

Emi shook her head. "I doubt it. He doesn't even know who gave him the letter and chocolates."

"But you managed to go on a date with him!"

"It wasn't an official date! He just wanted to join my sister's double date."