Chapter 5

“…I’m sorry I think you have the wrong number goodbye.” He clicks the ‘end’ button despite the signs of an oncoming protest. He stares at the dock before looking up to find Eli staring at him.

            “Who was that?” Aidan walks around the counter and goes to his fridge opening it.

            “No one. Wrong number.”  Eli raises an eyebrow and watches him. The phone starts ringing again and Aidan leans out of the fridge, their eyes meet. Aidan lunges toward Eli but is too late. Eli is already steps away the phone to his ear.

            “Hello?” Aidan freezes still halfway on the counter. Eli stares at him as he talks.

            “Uh yes hi. I just called and I was told this was the wrong number before I had time to explain haha” It was a woman. Eli lifts one brow at Aidan.

            “Really.”  He could hear the rustle of air and hair and he imagined the woman was nodding her head.

            “Yes, this was in fact the right number,” she laughs lightly, “and I’m looking for someone by the name of Aidan Iron…?”

            “Oh that guy?  Yeah this is the right number. He’s not here at the moment but I can take a message?” What does he think he’s doing...?  Aidan slides himself off the counter and walks around stopping a few steps from Eli to hear better.

            “Okay. My name is Eira Wilkenshire. Please don’t say anything my parents were and still are Middle Ages freaks so yes, it only fits that my name could very well be a person of that time. Moving on, Josephine Stone is my aunt. She says she and uhm Aidan are very good friends and that she wanted to make sure that Aidan knew about what was happening and uh why I’m here also. She said once he got this message to please pass it on to Elias Edmore whoever he may be. Well now for that message she wrote it down somewhere. Let me get it.” This imbecile hasn’t stopped to breathe once. There’s some rustling on the other end of the line before she comes back on again.

            “Ok so uh here goes:

            Dearest Aidan and Elias,

How are you both? Swell I hope. Good now on to what I wanted to tell you. It seems I’ve come down with something in my lungs again so the doctor’s say I should stay in the hospital. Apparently this has happened one to many times as they are holding me hostage. I’ve had my-“ Eira coughs and her voice sounds slightly embarrassed as she continues.

            “I’ve had my lovely niece come down to take care of the bookstore for me. She really is a sweet girl and it’d be much appreciated if….” Her voice fades out a bit. She clears her throat. How hard is it to read a damn letter…?

            “Uh sorry but I’m reading this for the first time also and I’m a bit surprised at the content…”

            “It’s okay what does it say? I’m sure we can handle it.”

            “But I can’t say the same for me…” She laughs lightly. This is a waste of time. He grabs the phone from Eli quickly and places it to his ear.

            “Listen we know this may be embarrassing for you to read, but I can assure you it won’t evoke any emotion. Personally I don’t care about any of this except for Josephine so if you could get on with her message that would be wonderful.” There was silence on the other end. Oh pity me if I hurt her pathetic feelings.

            “It’d be much appreciated if you could watch over her and show her around the city. I know if she isn’t asked to she’ll stay cooped up in that dust box forever. I asked her to come out here and watch the store but I don’t want it to be a burden. I want her to have fun. Thank both of you so much for helping out an old friend.

                                                                        Love,

                                                                                   Josephine”

            There was a click and the tone of an open line soon filled the silence. Aidan hit the end button and stared at the phone. He looked up and saw Eli looking at him frowning.

            “What?”  Eli just shook his head and went back into the living room. Aidan sighed and placed the phone back on its receiver. He leant back on the counter and ran a hand over his face looking up when Eli walked back in shrugging his coat on.

            “I’ll be back tomorrow. Get some rest and just…I don’t know. But you’re going to apologize. That was unnecessary and you know it.” Before he could say anything else Eli was out the door the sound of his motorcycle fading away. Aidan stared at the door before walking to his office. He made a few calls an arranged for the house to have repairs starting tomorrow.

            He headed upstairs to shower and took his time before going to a guest bedroom and falling onto the bed.

            It’s good that I’m dead because living is too damn tiring.

A.N.: DONE!! Yay sorry guys but my computer was stolen by some evil people…this happens often hehe  also I have some pronunciations for yooouuu

Iron: eye-ron

Eira: eye-ra

Elias: ee-lie-us

I have a few ideas for new stories. Pretty much different topics…think I should do it? ive had the idea for years just never put it into print