Hiding My Heart

*Beep*

Unf.  What is that noise?

*Beep*

What day is it again?

*Beep*

Why won't the clock shut up?!

*Beep*

I sat up abruptly in my bed and threw my clock against the wall.  It crashed loudly against the wall and broke into pieces.  That was the true way to shut off an alarm clock.

"Jaelyn!"  I groaned and slowly drifted back to sleep, ignoring my mother's calls.

"Jaelyn!  If you don't get up I will personally visit you in your room!" my mother screamed from the kitchen downstairs.

My eyes flew open and I whipped the blanket off me.  My mother is the last person you want to anger and if you do, just pray you'll leave the room unscathed.  I jolted up out of bed and zipped downstairs, tripping over my own feet.  I entered the kitchen to see my mother sipping from her coffee mug and my father leaving for work.

"Sweetie, what was that crash I heard just now?" my father, Kristoff, asked.  He bent down to tie the laces on his leather shoes.

"It was...nothing," I lied and flashed him the brightest grin I could muster.  While reaching for his bag, he gave me a funny look.

"Jae, you have to stop throwing your alarm clocks.  That's the sixth alarm clock you've broken this month alone!" My mother shot me a disapproving look and continued to read the newspaper in her hand.  I shrugged off her words and grabbed a plate.  I hurriedly piled my mother's cooked eggs and bacon onto my plate and dashed for a seat.  My father laughed at my hearty appetite, gave me a kiss, and left for work.  Meanwhile, my mother was still upset about my broken clock.

"Next clock you break, I'm not going to pay for it."

I groaned loudly and slapped my forehead.  "I know.  You've said that to me five times already."

After I inhaled my eggs, toast, and orange juice, I quickly changed into an all black outfit.  Then I had the brutal task of brushing my long, light brown hair that was filled with knots. 

"Damn it!  Hair, work with me just once!" I gritted out in pain as I tried to get my brush to run through my hair smoothly.  I sighed in exasperation and slammed my brush down.  I did not have time for this today!  I grabbed my Jansport backpack and swiftly left for school.

----------

The minute I stepped into the school, I spotted my best friend Kaley talking to some guy in the hallway.  I noticed her toss her hair behind her shoulder and immediately knew she was flirting with him.  I rolled my eyes in amusement and gave a tired sigh.  Classic Kaley.  She loved flirting with guys just for the thrill of it.  Ironically, nobody insulted her for flirting with so many guys because Kaley was just so lovable.  She had a face that no one could ever hate.

I brushed past her and gave her a quick nod.  She returned the nod and I hastily weaved through the mobs of people.  I pushed and dashed up the stairs, ignoring all the dirty looks that were shot my way.  After a few minutes, I reached my English class and greeted a few people before sitting down in my spot. 

After the bell rang, and the students settled in, my teacher, Ms. Belz, welcomed us. Her presence made the room smell like fresh brewed coffee.  Oh, how I really needed coffee to keep me awake.

“Welcome back, class.  How was your weekend?” the teacher said cheerfully.  Her question was met by a few murmurs and curses.  Jamie shrugged off their replies and continued speaking happily.