Chapter 19

I really wanted practice with 3rd person so this is just a quick experiment, we'll be back to 1st soon! enjoy!

Status: Day 6 at the church; morning.
3 day jump just happened.

Third Person POV

Johnny woke up that morning, tangled up with Ponyboy. He groaned, squinting against the sunlight peering through the window. Although his eyes hadn't adjusted yet, he couldn't help but smile at the pale boy next to him.

Johnny yawned, and reluctantly untangled himself from Ponyboy. He ran a hand through his un-greased black hair, looking around the musty church, as he'd began to do every day. Sighing, he rested his chin in his palm, gazing out of the empty doorway.

The 16 year-old wanted to go home. It was as simple as that. He wanted to undo everything that had been done- minus being with Ponyboy. That, the boy wanted very much to keep.

And home- as in the Curtis house. He about cursed himself for starting to call it "home". He didn't want the brothers to think he was taking advantage of them.

But, as much as it pained him to say, Johnny regretted coming to Tulsa in the first place. Not because he didn't like it; it was the best thing that had ever happened to him. But because he'd gotten Ponyboy in possible trouble with the law, and the thought of losing him now was almost one too much to bear.

Johnny never knew you could care so much about someone you've only known for a month.

He shook his head, his eyelids becoming suddenly heavy again. Pinching the bridge of his nose one last time, the black-haired boy turned back to where his boyfriend was sleeping, just to find Ponyboy awake, gazing at him.

Johnny's face immediately started to heat up. "H-how long have you..." his voice trailed off when the raven-haired boy smiled.

"Just a minute or two," Ponyboy replied with a grin, "You okay? You seemed a little troubled.."

Johnny nodded, pecking his official-unofficial boyfriend's lips with a kiss. "Just a little nervous."

"Could I ask why?" His lover asked, lacing his fingers together, his arms draped over Johnny's shoulders and behind his neck.

Johnny pretended to think about it for a second. "Mm.. you could," he replied, "but I would tell you not to worry about it." He pressed his forehead to the raven haired boy's for a moment.

Ponyboy's face flushed, before he nodded, understanding. "Well- you want a smoke?" He asked, pulling out a hidden pack of cigarettes.

"Pony! Where did you get those?"

"I actually didn't steal them, if that's what you were asking-"

Johnny giggled at that. "But where diD you get them, then?"

"I found 'em here. Over on that.. table." He pointed towards a broken up wood structure, that did, a little bit, resemble a table.

Ponyboy pulled 2 cigarettes out of the pack, tossing the rest aside. His sort-of boyfriend was quick to the draw as well, with a pack of disposable matches he'd retrieved about a week ago, from where his mother lived.

Within a few minutes, the two boys were much less on edge; a few puffs of smoke could do a lot to a person.

Johnny sighed, resting his head on Ponyboy's chest. He tottered his cigarette between two fingers, watching the embers glow when he inhaled.

In, and out again.

He liked it because he didn't have to think too much. It wasn't confusing. It was just a habit.

In, and out again.

He knew he could get awful sick from it, but it just felt so right. In a world where nothing but him and Ponyboy felt right, this was the second best thing.

In, and out again.

The tan boy squinted, putting a hand above his eyes, as to shield himself from the sun. He thought he saw a few silhouettes walking up the hill.

"Hey, Pone. You see that?" Johnny asked, pointing out the door. Ponyboy craned his neck. His eyebrows nearly shot up, as more and more and shorter and shorter silhouettes revealed themselves.

"Looks like they're coming this way, Johnny- we'd better go," He said, quickly standing and helping his kinda-sorta-boyfriend up. Johnny nodded, taking just a moment to shove a few of their condiments and food items under a table, figuring he'd deal with the consequences later, if anything were to happen to them.

Ponyboy took Johnny's hand, and they took off out the back door of the church, none to the wiser that one of them had dropped a smoldering cigarette in the grass.

a/n: I'm sorry this chapter is 3 or 4 hours after when I usually post! Today was my brothers birthday and I was just distracted with friends too and all that. so sorry about that but it's here!

I didn't have time to read over it before posting, but let me know if you find any mistakes! See y'all on Monday! (W the chapter I haven't planned yet)