Chapter 18

DISCLAIMER: this is NOT the last chapter! don't worry abt that!

Also, it's about January 29th or February 1st or so now, meaning that Johnny's been with Ponyboy for about a month. now enjoy!

Status: Day 3 at the church; morning.

Ponyboy's POV

I opened my eyes, immediately surprised by how dark it was. I knew I'd been on medication earlier, so the details were fuzzy on what exactly I did all day, but it seemed to be night.

I wearily sat up, running a hand through my mishapen hair. After a quick look around, it was obvious Johnny wasn't here. My stomach dropped, just as I remembered what I'd done that evening.

I'd tried to kiss Johnny.
It wasn't like I didn't want to- I did- but he didn't seem too keen on the idea. I quickly stood up, pushing away my jacket. I walked outside, frantically looking everywhere I could think for the Italian boy.

My gaze finally landed on a figure, sitting in front of a chain fence, a little ways away. I swallowed thickly, before starting to make my way in his direction.

Without a word, I sat next to him, staring down at my hands.

"Hi, Johnnycake," I mumbled. I didn't wanna look at him- what he must've been thinking about me, I couldn't say, but it couldn't have been good.

"Hi, Pone," he replied, his voice even smaller then usual. I let a few seconds go by, looking for something to say, but finding nothing. Johnny spoke first.

Clearing his throat, he said, "Pony.. do you- Did you mean what you said? While you were sick?"

I paused for a moment. I considered lying, but there didn't seem to be any reason to lie. I could say anything I wanted, but he knew. I knew he did.

I didn't know exactly what I had told him earlier that day, but I understood I'd told him the truth. Something I'd kept so delicately to myself for so long.

".. Yeah.. I did- I meant it.." I let myself glance up at him. His eyes weren't stormy; No, they were dancing. Almost bursting with raw emotion.

"You really mean that?" Johnny asked again, "You really do like me?" I nodded, sure of it.

"I do," I said, "a whole lot."

Johnny was quiet for a moment, allowing the sun to just begin peeking over the hills in silence.

"Well," he began, with a bit of a bigger voice than before, "I like you, too." Johnny looked over at me, smiling bashfully. "A whole lot."

Before I could even realize what he was doing, he was cupping my face and leaning in. But this time, neither of us pulled away. We connected our lips, sharing a sweet kiss. My heart fluttered in my chest, and I wished the moment could last forever. I felt him smile before we pulled away, causing my stomach to twist and flip.

I got to look into his eyes for a moment, before he smiled softly and directed his gaze towards the rising sun that'd just slipped over the hills. The sky exploded with reds and yellows and pinks and blues.

Johnny scooted closer to me, and shyly laid his head on my shoulder. I gently took his hand in mine and we sat, in complete bliss, without protective brothers or dead fathers or missing mothers or teasing friends. Without anything but ourselves.

Just for a moment.

a/n: hi y'all! it finally happened! our gays finally admitted it,, it was so cute to write and honestly love these boys so much.

anyhoooo, don't worry, this is in no way the end of the book, there are still many things for the boys to sort out.

technically, this would've been a really good spot to end, yknow to let y'all decide in your own heads how they ended up. but I wanna set it in stone, so this is only the beginning of our boys' relationship. and they have many fun and challenging times to overcome together. I hope you've enjoyed so far, and I hope you decide to tune in for the next chapters and the rest of their story!

I'll see all of you in chapter 19 on Tuesday!