Chapter 15

Johnny's POV

"Mother?" I called timidly, my message echoing through the empty corridors.

No answer.

I led Ponyboy further into the structure I used to call home.
"Maybe she's not home," I murmured, peering around the kitchen. My gaze stopped on a piece of paper with a few sentences scribbled on it. I creeped over and carefully picked it up.

"To whom it may concern-

Had to go out for a bit. Back soon.

-Jennifer Cade."

"Huh," Ponyboy said, reading over my shoulder, "doesn't seem too out of the ordinary.."

"Yeah.." I muttered, setting it back down, "Except for the fact it's 5:30am.. but maybe she just had to go out early.." I added, "nothin' to stress." The slight headache I'd bore earlier slowly returning to pound in my thoughts.

Ponyboy nodded slowly, before turning back towards the door.

"We could hide up there." He suggested. I turned around to see him pointing out the door and towards that church on the top of the hill.

I considered it for a moment.

"Good idea," I replied finally, "But one thing before we go." I took his hand and as gently as possible, pulled him into the kitchen.

————————

We trudged up the hill, each holding a few food items. It would last us a while, I'd thought. I mean, it's not like we're gonna stay there for an eternity. Hopefully, anyway.

Once we reached the top of the small hill, we saw that the church was rather desolate, with just some regular bushes and other plants surrounding it. The slightly- okay, extremely- dilapidated building looked like the ceiling could definitely cave, but not without some persuasion. That wasn't gonna be a problem, though.

Pony and I set our items on what looked like it used to be a table.

"Wow," Pony murmured, "I'm surprised this isn't some kinda historical monument or somethin'."

I nodded, trying my best to stifle a small chuckle. We lapsed into another comfortable silence as we investigated where we would be staying for the next who knows how long. Although, instead of the metal clanging of the train, the pounding of my headache filled the air.

Now that I had a moment to think, the guilt started to fall onto my chest like a weight. I suddenly felt heavy.

I would make the same decision again, I knew, but.. it would weigh on me the rest of life, knowing I'd stopped someone from living out their life. It wasn't like he didn't deserve it, but I could die for this crime. It might have saved Ponyboy then, but I couldn't save him from jail. Or even the electric chair for what I- actually not even him- did?

I must've winced, because I felt Pone rest a hand on my shoulder, interrupting my thoughts.

Pony's POV

"Johnny? You alright?" I asked, letting my hand find its place on his small-framed shoulder.

He took in a careful breath, before turning to meet my eyes and nodding. "Yeah.. just uh .. my head hurts a little, but nothing else too bad.."

With his eyes on me, I suddenly felt a little dizzy. I tore my eyes away from his with a nod and removed my hand from his shoulder.

I yawned, only then realizing how tired I truly was. Neither of us had gotten much sleep the night before, and it was still early. Maybe we could catch a few winks before this afternoon. We got nothin' better to do.

I retreated to a spot on the dusty floor of our sanctuary, and laid down, resting my head on my jacket.

"Tired?" Johnny asked, I heard his footsteps making his way over to sit next to me. I hummed a positive response, something compelling me not to open my eyes.

"Ditto." I'd heard him take off his signature jeans jacket and rest his head on it as well.

"G'night- or- g'morning..?" He whispered, earning a small laugh from me. "Either way," Johnny'd breathed, "sweet dreams."

a/n: hope y'all enjoyed! I feel like I've been really busy lately and haven't had much time to edit or even let my boys cross my mind, so I'm gonna try to get more relaxation time to work on this book.

let me know if you find any mistakes! thanks for all the support!!