Chapter 7

flashback...

"It's true, I researched it!" Jane laughed.

"It is not true! Where's the proof?" Kit asked, sometimes she just didn't know when Jane was yanking her chain.

"Right here," she laughed handing Kit a piece of paper that looks as though she printed it from the internet. "The legend says that if a Peters' boy tells you he loves you and he kisses you, you are bound to him forever. And if you don't accept him, you will never find love ever again."

"This is stupid. And why does it matter anyway?" It was three weeks after Kit's fourteenth birthday and she just didn't understand why Jane was making such a huge thing about this "curse" it was just an urban legend and probably wouldn't come as a problem anyway.

"Because, you need to watch yourself Kit. Those boys are going to get you into trouble," her wise seventeen year old sister told her.

"Whatever you say, Jane. I have to get ready for my first day of school." Kit walked to her closet and pulled out her favorite pair of cut off jeans and t-shirt. She pulled her messy red hair into a ponytail and pulled in her blue Converse All-Stars. Then she grabbed a granola bar and two juice boxes on her way out the door.

"Mornin' Hell-Kat," Hopsey said as she climbed in the front seat of his beat up Volvo.

Kit just grumbled in response and handed him a juice box.

"You ok?" he asked.

"Yeah. I just don't want to go back to school yet," she winced. "Plus Jane just pissed me off. It's just been a really long day already."

Leland reached over and grabbed her hand and pulled it into his lap. "It'll get better kiddo. I promise," he gave her hand a gentle squeeze. The tension she was feeling oozed out of her at this subtle connection.

"I'm holding you to that," she pointed her free finger at him. "Just remember that I have a temper!" she teased, "I might not be very nice if my day doesn't get better!"

"Fine. But if you have a really good day, you have to show your appreciation," he waggled his eyebrows at her suggestively.

"You're a pig!" She laughed.

"But you love me," he teased.

"Hmm."

"Admit it. You love me," he teased. She did love him, in every way anyone could love someone, but she couldn't say it. Too afraid that her true feelings might show if she said the words out loud.

Feeling heat creep onto her cheeks, Kit changed the subject by complimenting him, "I read that story you wrote for the school paper. Good job. I think you should make it a series, I'd like to read more about Chase Kingham," she told him seriously.

"Really? You think so?" He asked like a giddy school boy, "I actually have more mysteries about Chase Kingham. Will you read them?"

"Of course!" Kit loved reading his stories, he used to tell her all sorts of tales when they were kids. After pushing him, he'd actually write them down so that he could tell them again. It was a little piece of Leland that she took credit for.

"You honestly have no clue how awesome you are," he beamed, "and you love me!"

"Just get me to school on time you wingnut!"

"Wingnut? Really?"

"Wow old man!" she yelled in his ear, "You hard at hearing already?"

"What???" He shouted with a cupped hand around his ear.

Loving her mornings with Hopsey, Kit just laughed along with him. They would say the dumbest things like that and both just go off laughing until they hurt. Most of the time it wasn't even as funny as they thought, still that's how it was with them. Easy and fun.