#6

There was a long pause, an eerily silence broke in the room. Fadwa had her eyes fixed on the bed; she wasn't able to pale blue orbs that flashed her nothing but sheer hatred.

Maheer hissed and pointed at the door, she knew what that meant. Without making any sound, Fadwa took her bucket and broom before she quickly walked out of the room. She heaved a sigh out of relief, placing her hands over her chest. Her hand naturally went to her head, and a small gasp escaped her lips. Her black veil.

What is she going to tell Majida? It was her veil, the one she loved the most. She took it because its width is wide and it could wrap her hair in a whole without leaving its remains.

She heard a sound from the room, and she quickly took her bucket and left the corridor. She already hated this place, and she couldn't wait for 6pm to click.

Fadwa entered the kitchen and kept the things, she kept looking around the kitchen. There was a wall clock pinned over the cooking, and she gasped. It's already 9:50am, it'll soon be 10. He said he eat breakfast by 11am. What is she going to do? What is she going to prepare for this man that point out fault in everything she did?

She concluded on going to ask him, it was getting late. She silently prayed and walked out of the kitchen, taking in a deep breath. She was by the kitchen door when he walked towards the living room and she could take a perfect view of him. She had never done this before, but today, she couldn't help but check this man out. She was nerved with fairness of his skin, and Fadwa doubted whether he could hear a single Hausa or Fulani word. 

He looked her way.

He caught her staring! She freaked and completely came out of the kitchen. Maheer stood midway and threw a disgusting look at her; she duck her head down.

"I don't know what to cook for breakfast." She was playing with her fingers, and waiting for the worst and heart wrenching reply to come. And it did.

"What were you doing that you still didn't start cooking the breakfast? Are you dumb? Or your poor excuse of a brain doesn't function well?"
She flicked it back. You shouldn't cry now, Fadwa, not in his presence. She warned herself and blinked back her tears.

She had always thought of how it will feel to be noticed by the people around her, but now that she was getting the attention she silently wished for; it suck. Wouldn't he act as if she had never existed and throw orders at her when needed? What breed does this man come from?

"I'm sorry, I don't know what you like eating for breakfast." She glanced his way and saw he had already sat on the sofa facing the television, the ends of his book between his fingers. She frowned.

"Go and cook whatever you think of, but don't expect me to eat one nasty meal you're used to."

Something was never easy for her than this. She blocked away the insult and walked back into the kitchen.

Roaming her eyes around the storeroom, Fadwa kept nibbling on her fingers, unable to pick up something she could cook for this man she hadn't even known his name yet.

Her eyes landed on a cartoon of indomie, and she smiled. She could remember the first time she ate it in Nadia's house, and it was so sweet she couldn't get tired of slipping its long tails into her mouth. She chuckled when she remembered their conversation with Nadia on that day.

"Nadia, thanks for letting me eat this. At first I thought it was spaghetti, but it tastes better." She was licking her long slender fingers, smiling at Nadia.

"Fadwa, for Allah's sake it's enough. It's over but you're still talking about it."

"Thank you so much, Nadia for coming me over. I love you." She hugged her tight, she was genuinely grateful.