6 : Sakura's Love. Karin's Love

"Do you love Sakura?" the question made Sasuke to choke on his own spit.

"What?"

Karin stood up and sat down directly in front of Sasuke, staring deep into his eyes. She wanted to make sure there was not a single lie she wouldn't detect.

"I said, do you love Sakura?"

: :

"Thank you very much miss!"

Sakura returned the enthusiastic wave the little girl gave her as she watched her limp out of the hospital. Mirae had broken her leg while training and instead of calling for help immediately, she pushed herself on until the rest of her body had given up on her as well. Sakura sighed, she hoped she wouldn't see her in the hospital again. It had been the third time in the month.

Her watch read ten thirty-three; it was getting late. But she still needed to check on Reina and Toko. And there was the daily report, then she needed to fill out some paperwork. Sleep wasn't in the day's schedule.

The hollow feeling in her heart reappeared as she signed a few documents and a tired sigh escaped her as she turned her head to the window. Five years ago, she'd look at the stars with hope in her jade eyes. An unwavering belief, that no matter what happened, she'd be with the man she loved someday.

The moon told no lies. All of that hope was lost.

She only saw distance, the miles between him and her even when he stood right in front of her that day and told her the truth.

"I'm sorry for hurting you, Sakura."

She forgave him. She forgave all his misdoings and turned a new leaf in the chapter with a cheerful smile and a hopeful glint in her eyes.

"But I can't be with you."

She didn't understand. She thought he loved her.

"I don't love you."

Every thing Sasuke had done to her was like a needle to the skin. It stung, but had no long term effect on her love for him. Nothing could compare to the truth, the harsh reality he slapped on her face when he said:

"We're not the same genin from 4 years ago."

Sakura didn't cry in front of him. He had seen her break down so many times before and she didn't want his last memory of her to be that. So she faked a perfect smile, bowed politely, and wished him the best in life.

Tears fell the next day, when Karin asked her what the matter was.

And after that, Sakura wanted no more. She picked herself up, dusted herself up, left Team Taka with a sweet goodbye, and got back to work. Not only in the hospital, but in her mind and heart too.

Sasuke was gone and Sakura didn't know when, or if he was coming back to the village.

But as long as Sasuke was at peace with himself, then she wouldn't cry. Instead, she'd catch up to him again by finding peace with herself too.

And maybe someday, if he saw her again, he wouldn't see the weak girl who was desperately in love she was willing to throw herself away just for him.

He'd see Haruno Sakura. The medic who saved him; the comrade who fought alongside him; and the woman who loved him like she one day will love herself.

: :

"No."

A cocked head. "You don't love Sakura? I need a full sentence, Sasuke."

Sasuke looked her straight in the eye, "No, I don't love Sakura. In a romantic way, at least."

Her heart had never been so relieved.

"Oh," she tried to hide the smile, but Sasuke could see the way her eyes were lightening up.

Women confused Sasuke, but he always knew what they wanted from him. Ino wanted a cool guy like him, Sakura wanted him to love her, and Karin... he knew she loved him.

He just wasn't sure what that love entailed.

"Why do you ask?"

Karin heard the suspicion in his voice. "She loves you and I thought you love her. Guess I was wrong."

Sasuke's eyes narrowed to slits. A while ago, Karin had asked him why he wasn't with Sakura... and why Sakura wasn't his wife? She had never questioned him about her before, so where did all this come from?

"I've wanted to ask for a while," she wasn't lying, "I just didn't want to pry."

Sasuke let the words sink in. He'd be staying with Team Taka for a long time, possibly forever. Perhaps it was time to start working on himself, starting with his inability to open up properly.

People had never been able to get him to talk, however, the red eyes that held nothing but curiosity and love were encouraging.

It was time to start growing.

"Sakura was my comrade."

Karin waited an eternity for him to continue.

"Annoying. Caring. Lovestruck. Cowardly. Weak. Smart. I used to think of her as that back when we were genin. But time changed her, for the better."

"She's still the annoying, caring, smart, lovestruck girl. She isn't cowardly or weak anymore. She's become the opposite of that now."

Sasuke remembered the war and her tremendous help in saving the world. Time with Tsunade had turned her into a fine Shinobi, and as a comrade Sasuke was proud as she with him and Naruto dominated the battlefield.

Karin smiled, "Yeah, she's a strong woman. Why do you call her annoying?"

Sasuke's piercing gaze remained on Karin, making her cheeks red. "Because she latched onto me despite me hurting her instead of shutting me off and healing the pain I caused her."

The cold breeze caressed them as Karin asked, "But I did that too, didn't I? You hurt me and I'm still here."

Sasuke shook his head, "I hurt you and now your guard is up."

Truth. Karin had been trying to keep a distance from Sasuke, both for him and for her.

Sasuke rubbed his hands on his lap; his palms were a bit sweaty. "You're still annoying, though."

Karin glared at him, "Why?"

"You'd do anything to see me smile."

Her demeanor softened again. Karin laughed, "I can't deny that. So will you smile for me? Like, really, really, smile?"

Sasuke's voice was just above a whisper, "I can't." The demons had his happiness.

There was so much Karin wanted to tell him, but she swallowed it all in. "That's alright. For now I'll just make do with the ghost of a smile you have when you look at me once in a while."

The wind hummed softly. Sasuke couldn't hold his gaze anymore, so he looked away.

For the first time Karin could detect a hint of shyness in his behaviour.

"That's so cu-"

The moment was ruined. As usual.

"SASUKE AND KARIN! KARIN AND SASUKE! WHERE ARE YOU? WANNA SEE ME CUT A TREE IN HALF?!"

Karin could combust.

Sasuke sighed in annoyance.

Suigestu was nothing but a giant cockblock.