Chapter 07: The Throne Thief

I'd like to dedicate this chapter to my Ate, hunnydew, for inspiring me to strive my best in my studies as well as in writing. Mabuhay tayong mga Filipino Writers who use the English language as our medium! Haha. Good luck din pala sa work mo, Ate. God bless po. :D

____________________________________________________________

No. It can't be.

I am speechless. I stand stiffly in front of the mirror like a man turned into a tree, staring at the most unlikely image I have ever seen.

Me? A prince? This is totally ridiculous.

I try hard to convince myself that this isn't true. That this is just a lie. But as I bring back in mind the unexplainable death of the black vermins now laying lifeless on the floor beneath me, I just end up believing the possibility of being the elf prince who stares directly at me.

From the very beginning, it never did occur to me that I'm actually an elf. I mean, who with a sane mind will actually think of that? To make matter even worse, fate took the stakes higher in playing a trick on me. So now, how much more can I accept the fact that I'm not just an elf but an elf prince? Oh God. I should be going crazy right now.

Seth takes a few steps to reach me. He places his hand on my shoulder. "Are you okay, your majesty?" He asks in a concerned manner. He tilts his head to look at my confused face.

Okay? How can I be okay after discovering that I'm an elf prince? Or is it really the truth? I hope it's not. Because it doesn't seem like one. This is just unbelievable. I almost feel like a new Disney character.

I move back, releasing his hold. "Of course not, Seth. You see, I always dreamt to be a prince. Who doesn't, right? But I don't expect it to be this way. I don't even expect it to come true. How can this even be possible? Tell me. Am I dreaming or what? Oh God."

"You're not dreaming, your majesty. This is reality. And believe it or not, you truly are the prince of elves. You are our prince."

I breathe deeply and let out a big sigh due to exhaustion. "Why only reveal it now, Seth? You should've told me earlier. To prepare me. To give me more time to know and accept myself. Didn't you ever think of that? Now, look at what you've done to me. Can't you see my mind is ready to explode? I can't take this anymore. I want my old life back. I can't afford to put someone's life in peril again." I burst out, my temperance has come to its end. My eyes stinging with tears.

"I'm sorry. I should have taken this more slo-"

"Wait a minute. Is there anything I still don't know yet? Like I'm half-dragon? Or half-faerie? Or I need to wake up a sleeping princess on top of a beast-guarded tower? Take your time, Seth. I'm tired of your cliffhanging revelations. I'm tired of these. I'm tired of everything you say!!!" I rub my eyes with the back of my hands to prevent my tears from falling, moisture traces the skin around my eyes.

"Calm down, your majesty. Your anger will never do you any good. No matter what you do, you can't rush things the way you want it to be. It will really take some time for you to fully restore your memory, your majesty. It's a process. You just have to bear with it. And soon, when the right time comes, you'll remember it all. But before that, you need to patiently wait, okay? Remember to keep yourself at peace. The more peaceful you're mind is, the more clearer memory you'll regain."

So this doesn't end here. There are still lots of things to discover by myself. How lovely. This will definitely keep me at peace.

"Who are you, by the way? I don't get it. Aren't you a prince like me since we're brothers? Then why call me "your majesty"? You sound like a slave for me." I say harshly, part of me puzzled, part of me irritated.

"I'm sorry. I was not able to introduce myself, your majesty. I am Falantir, your rightful protector. Your beloved father, King Erlmond, bestowed upon me the authority to protect you against all costs. Since the attack, I was fully-entrusted by the royal family to be your rightful companion and guardian in the mortal world. They transferred some of their powers to me to use it against those who want you harmed. If you never noticed, I did my best to obscure you from the wicked schemes of the Evil Conqueror. I let myself be known than you by using magic because the more distinctive I am, the more suspicious the enemies will become towards me. And it worked. I was able to lure them to me, not knowing that you are their true target. I killed them all before they could get to you. I also used magic to manipulate people. I used it to our mortal parents to make them think that we are their biological children. Now that you're eighteen, it marks your gradual transformation as an elf prince, making you visible and noticeable to the predatory eyes of the Evil Conqueror. And he will never stop until he finds you dead."

"You mean all your hardworks . . . talents . . . skills . . . they're just works of magic? In order to hide and protect me?"

"Yes. That's my sole task, your majesty. To keep you alive as much as I can, regardless of how risky it is. It is with great honor that I hold onto that promise to the king."

My whole world seems to stop. So that explains it. All he ever wanted is to protect me. To hide me from whoever wants me dead. It is his task as my protector. And he is willing to risk his whole life just to keep me alive. Somehow, I feel safe with him.

"Uhm, I keep asking this. Why does he want me . . . dead?", I ask, my words barely escape my mouth.

"Because you are the throne's heir, your majesty. You are the next king of Elrohir Fefalas. And he fears that one day, you'll come back to the kingdom to take what is rightfully yours . . . your throne."

____________________________________________________________

Now is the time to:

(1) COMMENT to share your thoughts.

(2) VOTE to show you really like the chapter.

(3) FAN to know the latest updates about the story.

Please don't be a silent reader and show some support. Thanks. :)