Chapter 01: The Remarkable Son

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hi guys! This is actually my first attempt to write a story here in Wattpad. For everyone's understanding, English is not really my native language (I'm a Filipino), but I still decided to use it so that most of the readers can understand the story I'm telling Knowing this, please be very gentle and considerate of the errors you'll encounter. I really hope you'll like it in spite of my mediocre writing. Just remember that I'm always open to criticism for the sake of improving my writing skills. Your READS, COMMENTS, VOTES and FANS will always be appreciated and treasured. Thank you and God bless. Enjoy reading! :)

P.S. To help you imagine the places and things mentioned in the story, just look at the multimedia side. :)

____________________________________________________________

Who would not want to have a brother like Seth?

I mean, everyone adores him. He's Mr. Smartypants, one of the top students in his class. He's a swimmer, but not just any typical swimmer. He has won in both local and international swimming competitions already, bringing home mostly gold and silver medals. He's a band vocalist. He can make girls swoon over him by just singing any songs. Plus, he got the looks, okay? To summarize it all, he's a smart, athletic, talented, handsome, (insert any good adjectives here as much as you want) guy, who decorates our house with medals, plaques and everything nice.

Now, guess who his opposite is?

It's yours truly.

I am, let's say, not gifted with academic knowledge. As a matter of fact, I never miss to make it to the bottom list in class. But, hey! I'm no dumbass. You just can't blame me if studying is so boring. It's just that I prefer outside activities more, like running in the greens, enjoying a breath of fresh air, travelling to different popular landmarks, exploring the hidden depths of forests and relaxing under a tree's shade after feeling exhausted. When indoors, I used to play online PC games and bully those who are weak and dumb. I'm even one of the top rank players in one of my most addicted online PC games where I can kill any player with just a slash of my sword. You see, my mantra in life is to "Enjoy life to the fullest." Who knows how soon our life will be taken away from us, right? Especially me. I'm a wimpy, virus-magnet teenager. I get colds from different stuffs everyday and have atleast one new allergy source daily. How about talents? Let's see. I actually don't have any, unless you consider mocking my brother a talent, I guess.

However, what makes me similar to Seth is my face. Believe me. I look just like him. Well, a short, slim, wimpy, dark-haired version of him. That makes me look a handsome guy too, right? Okay. You got me there. Of course, you know I'm just kidding. He looks too good for me, making me wonder if he truly is my brother. That's why he's the more popular and more idolized one between us. You know, he's the full package compared to me. Don't get me wrong. I am also known by everyone. But unfortunately, in a different way.

In a humiliating way.

Now, to answer my first question, it's probably me.

+++

I snap out of my reverie as I hear the girls all over the place go wild. Okay. I know who the reason behind that is. Who else? Seth, of course.

Quickly, I swing my head to see my brother. It's not really difficult to identify him from anyone else because he stands out. He's tall, five feet and eleven inches to be exact. His skin is flawlessly white that he'll fit perfectly the character of Edward Cullen in Twilight. You really can't blame me if I had mistaken him for a blood-sucking vampire once. He has wavy blonde hair, the strands glistening like it was sprinkled with gold dusts when hit by something bright. And his amber eyes, it's so rare that many had been mesmerized to it. One of his trademarks, I believe. 

Today, he's wearing his green varsity jacket unzipped, revealing his buffed chest under his black fitted V-neck shirt. Maybe I shoud try swimming some time. He walks towards the stage with a huge smile on his face, showing his pearl white teeth. After reaching the center stage, he stops in front of his swimming coach who then shakes his hand and puts a gold medal around his neck. My mother, who is sitting beside me, hurriedly stands up and takes pictures of him using her smartphone. A smile never leaves her face. Honestly, I love seeing mom like this. But at this moment, I can't pretend that I'm delighted for her. Not with Seth being the source of her happiness.

I wonder when can I make her smile like this...

I wonder when can I make her proud of me...

And most of all... 

I wonder why I am here.

Ugh! I should be busy helping dad with the foods by now. If it weren't for mom going alone, I could've been given some exra allowance by my dad for being his assistant chef. In that way, I can buy a stronger pet for my online game character and name him Seth again.

I sit still. I just watch him as he goes down the stage and journeys back to his seat. The auditorium is quite huge. The area is very spacious that it can hold thousands of people. Dim lights are lighted all over the ceiling which make the ambiance feel like a classy hotel. The stage in front is wide enough to hold plays, contests, ceremonies and even concerts, its edges are currently decorated with bright, blossoming flowers. A huge banner showing "CONGRATULATIONS, WINNERS!" is hung up horizontally on the wall above it. The floor is wrapped with a dandelion-colored carpet, causing people's footsteps to be inaudible. Red, cushy, foldable theater seats covered the rest of the place, the aisles dividing them into four columns. The awardees are seated at the right side. However, we, the audience, occupy all the remaining seats. My mother and I are seated in the front row of the second column. She demanded to arrive here early so that we could be able to choose seats near the stage for a better view.

After the awarding ceremony, boredom is finally over. People now start to gather and congratulate their loved ones for their victories, filling the once quiet room with buzzing sounds. They all seem very happy as they take pictures, shake hands, hug one another and laugh out loud. Oh, wait a minute. Where's Seth? What's keeping him so long? As I swivel my head to search for him, I notice a huge commotion at the right side of the auditorium. And alas, I see him. He's in the middle of the crowd, enjoying the moment of being Mr. Popular while mom and I have to wait until his fan conference is over. Oh, Seth. You're really getting into my nerves. After a very long dull moment, my celebrity brother finally decides to see us. 

Here he comes. I better get ready.

"Really sorry for keeping you both waiting. By the way, look what I've got!" He says as he lifts his medal for us to see. "It's bigger and much prettier this time. Another addition to my collection." He grins widely.

"Yeah. Like another piece of junk in the house. Why don't you just sell them to earn money instead? That would be an awesome idea," I say cruelly, revealing how pissed off I am.

"Don't talk to your older brother like that, Vincent! I never taught you to behave that way. You should be at least proud of him," mom says, scolding me quietly.

My face contorts. I look away, not daring to look at her displeased face.

"It's okay, mom. Vincent might not be in a good mood right now. He's bored, I guess," Seth says,  rescuing me with an alibi.

She turns to him. "By the way, Seth, you never forget to make me proud. I'm really proud of you, son." She kisses his forehead and he hugs her in return.

Oh. I feel like a stranger now.

"Come on! Let's go home. I'm hungry already." I say nonchalantly, heading straight towards the exit sign without even turning my back to obscure the enviousness I feel.

____________________________________________________________

Now is the time to:

(1) COMMENT to share your thoughts.

(2) VOTE to show you really like the chapter.

(3) FAN to know the latest updates about the story.

Please don't be a silent reader and show some support. Thanks. :)