Chapter 6

At school the next day, I couldn't stop obsessing over that damned book and the fact that my parents seemed more agitated than usual about the supernatural. But most of the thoughts that consumed my mind was that guy with purple eyes. He gave off a comforting and mysterious vibe even though I was scared for some reason I knew he wouldn't hurt me. I shook my head. Why was I thinking about him?!
Steering my mind back to the mystery at hand, I hatched a plan. Talking to my parents was fruitless and I had no choice but to enact Plan B: breaking and entering. Funny how it's my own home I'll be breaking into.

*****

The wind rushed past me as I raced home after the last bell rang. I needed as much time as possible. Mum and Dad returned home at about seven so that gave me about less than four hours. Every second counted.
As soon as I stepped through my front door, I swiftly reached my parents' joint offices. Although the offices weren't on the east wing, it was out of bounds by all means -unless you were summoned. The studies were joined for the convenience of meetings held by my parents. They were actually two large -like the rest of the place- rooms with a sliding soundproof screen door separating them. The studies faced each other. One side Mum's, the other Dad's.
My dad's study had bookcases and a huge desk. On it sat his computer, laptop and stacks and stacks of paper, files that nearly towered over me. There were also other shelves and filing cabinets with carefully written labels. I always found Dad's organising method a bit excessive.
Mum's side was also tidy but the kind that was sleek and pristine. Her side housed the printer and two flat screen computers. If I thought Dad's OCD was extreme, Mum was even more so. She didn't have as much paperwork but her computer files were of a different story. You'd get lost in a sea of documents even if they were named specifically. Her desk was clean without a speck of dust. On the top right hand corner sat a photo of the three of us. Next to the frame was a rack filled with business cards titled 'Lockdown' and beneath it read 'Monique Terasille Elles; Coporate Executive Officier' and so on.
I started looking around Dad's study first. He was an archaeologist slash well known historian, Richard Elles so he was perhaps the most likely to have any documentation on this mansion. I searched the drawers and filing cabinets first and decided to tackle the desktop stack later. All that came up was paper, more paper, pens, paper clips and an USB. Nothing was of use. Damn it!
I strode into Mum's study and tried the drawers. They were locked. Unlike my dad, Mum was a gadget person. She owned a security company that dealt with high-tech stuff. So her stuff tended to be locked away. I didn't bother with the computers. She would have high level security on those too. And unless you had the passwords you couldn't break in. Not to mention it would be futile to try and hack the system. That would just set off an alarm that alerted Mum wherever she was.
"My God," I breathed. The clock showed that two hours had already passed. It was useless to continue scouring the studies. Before my parents could come home, I resolved to maybe try again when I have an idea of how to deal with the locks. I slipped out after I made sure everything was the way it was.
So much for Plan B.