Chapter 25

I realised that this building had less lanterns on than the rest of the school. It did nothing to calm me. This reminded me too much of that dungeon and made the place extra creepy. Only a trickle of students remained in the hallways. Most had already rushed off to class.
Finally, reaching my classroom I pushed open the doors and every head turned my way. Each face regarded me with boredom. Shit, had class already started? I didn't think so. The teacher up front was still flipping through the book in his hand. He looked up and sent the feeling of prickles down my spine. As quickly as he gave me that frightening look, his face softened and his mouth stretched into a gentle smile.
"You must be Miss Rebecca Elles. Please Miss Elles, take a seat wherever, the lesson is about to start," he said. I opened my mouth to correct and tell him to call me Becky but the expression his face showed did not match his tone of voice. He almost sounded threatening. Already off to a great start (!).
I scurried down the aisle to an empty row, third from the front and sat down. As soon as I did, there were sharp intakes of breathes all around me.
A girl's voice piped up from behind me, "Are you that rude or that stupid?"
I turned and met the owner of that snide voice. It was a girl with short, neon pink hair and had multiply piercings in her ears, nose and lip. She wore heavy makeup and a scowl on her face but her eyes told a different story. She seemed to enjoy every bit of this. The girl was a rebel. She was no Bridget but no less a bitch.
Just as I was about to make my own retort, a soft tap on my shoulder made me aware of the petite girl seated directly behind me. Everything about her screamed timid. Her pale grey hair framed a small face just as pale. Eyes the colour of ice peeped out from under long bangs.
With a quiet voice she stuttered politely, "W-w-would you mind shifting a little over to your right, p-please? I'm sure Tiffany would a-a-appreciate it very much."
Tiffany? Until I finally noticed something cold move through me. My eyes widened. "Oh, sorry!" I apologised and quickly shuffled to my right as the girl suggested. It was Necromancy, of course there'd be ghosts.
Everyone giggled around me. "Enough," the teacher said and gave me a stern look. "Let's start."
Everybody opened their books and copied the notes. I followed suit. Halfway through writing down the first half, the hairs on my skin raised. I knew this presence all to well. Lifting my head up, my eyes panned the room in search of him.
No sooner, I found him seated in the first row below me, his hands stopped mid-sentence and his head turned ever so slightly towards me. He knew.
My heart started pounding fast. What was he doing here? It always seemed that when I forgot about him, he would pop up and remind me of his existence. When I wanted to know where he was, he was nowhere to be found. But then it made sense that he attended here since he was the one who suggested I come here.
I realised the teacher at the front was blankly looking at me. I quickly lowered my head and focused on note taking and listening to what was taught. I'll worry about that guy later.

I hadn't ever felt that relieved when the toll of the bell finally came. Eagle -for lack of a better nickname as I still had no idea as to what his name was- had took creepy to the level where I wasn't even aware existed. I swore he had it out for me. I had the feeling of being shoved under the microscope and studied like some kind of rare specimen.
I hurriedly packed away my books and made my escape. On my way up the aisle, I realised I still had to break something of Pinky's -preferably her nose. I bet all that metal would surely add to the pain. Not that she had to do anything particularly to warrant my dislike.
I mainly wanted to put as much space between me and Purple Eyes, incase he tried to pull anything weird. Although I did not get away before our eyes met for a second as I walked out the door and hurried off to my next class.

*****

I met up with the gang near the fountain square after Latin, crowded with the other students of different races, all mingling together. I was constantly getting stared at and I was certain some even went out of their way to avoid me. There was no way they knew who I really was, right? I couldn't imagine what would happen if everyone found out about my parents when their current reactions were already like this.
Everyone was talking about an upcoming game match or something. I was barely listening while lost in my own thoughts about Purple Eyes being in the same class as me. But what intrigued me just as much was the shy girl that sat behind me. It was obvious she was not popular given she was sitting alone. Most of all, she was just as much in a hurry as I was for getting out of class. However, unlike me, she was tripped up and laughed at. It was the faraway, calm look her face had that told me this happened all the time. Either that or she didn't even notice or mind.
"We're totally going to wipe the field with their faces."
"Make sure you don't actually lose and live up to what you say." Chloe and Anna were in a heated discussion. As usual.
"What's this about?" I finally joined in the conversation.
"You weren't listening?" Anna rolled her eyes.
"It's the Brall game this Wednesday after classes," Chloe said, ignoring Anna.
"Brall?"
"It's a game for witches and wizards involving flying brooms and balls."
I simply stared at Anna. "Really? And you told me I was cliche."
"This is not Harry Potter, thank you," Anna defended.
"Sounds a lot like it to me. Quidich, that is," I said. "How does it work?"
Facing me, Anna got serious. "First of all, there aren't any seekers or anything. Look at it as a normal soccer game played in the air. The aim of the game is to get as many goals in an hour."
"So like soccer."
"Pretty much."
"Cremlim's Brall team is the best just so you know," Chloe informed me. Anna simply gloated in the compliment.
"Oh really?"
Anna narrowed her gaze. "Come to the field and I'll show you." And just to rub it in, "Not that you can play anyway." With that she flounced off. I'll have to admit, that girl got some skill at flouncing.
"She meant since only witches and wizards are able to fly brooms," Chloe said.
"From that I gather Brall is not only big here but like life or death for her?" I guessed.
"Pretty much. And not trying to take her side here," Chloe replied, "but you have sorely underestimated her ability in this sport."
"By the way, Becky, do you have any special interests or ideas as to what club you want to join?" Soran asked.
"I don't even know what stuff is available. So far, I've only heard about this Brall and that's already out of the picture. What groups are you guys in?"
"I'm in the Cater club. We help Mrs. Gilmore in the kitchen, preparing the meals for the entire school. After all, Mrs. Gilmore is only one person," Soran answered. I didn't pin him as a foodie.
"Was that why you were late this morning?" I figured.
Soran averted his eyes. "Yeah. I was on the breakfast shift. Mrs. Gil told me to leave early for class but I insisted on staying back and cleaning up."
Chloe sighed. "As for me, I'm in the Sewing club." The girl winked at me while saying that. "If you have any requests, feel free to voice them. Come to think of it, our club had a fair share of input for the uniform."
"No thanks. I'll have to decline." I might have good fashion sense but I couldn't sew jack even if my survival depended on it.
"No offence but I thought you didn't seem like the domestic type," Soran voiced.
I couldn't fault him there. He's on the money. "I'll take a look around after last period."
"You sure? You still don't know your way around here," Chloe said.
"Don't worry, I've been getting around to all my classes fine today using only the map, proof that I have quite a good sense of direction. Plus, you guys will be busy with your own activities. Just list the existing clubs for me."
Just as Chloe was about to say something else, the bell announced the start of the last three periods of the night.
Hopping up off of the bench, "Let's go," I said and dragged Chloe with me towards Defence class that we had together. Hopefully, it wouldn't be a repeat of Necromancy.