Chapter 3

The nights sleep was filled with distressing nightmares. They didn't make any sense. I dreamed it was constant darkness and I felt myself stumbling around trying to get my bearings. And then there was the fall. My mouth opened and only let out a soundless scream.
Something woke me up at the start of dawn. Leaving the safety of my bedroom I crept down the hallway to investigate, my bare feet shuffled across the carpeted floor. I shivered as the cold seeped through my thin pyjamas. My eyes searched the dark for any signs of any movement. I didn't dare turn on the lights incase there was someone here. And yes, being alone in a huge mansion with no sunrise yet was creepy. Not to mention the closest next door neighbour was at least a mile away. Even with what little moon light coming through the windows, I couldn't make out anything.
Cautiously using the shadows of alcoves along the corridor as cover -incase it wasn't my parents- I moved further and around the corner. Inch by inch, I neared the master bedroom.
Suddenly a blurred shadow rushed past me after exiting my parents' bedroom. I stood frozen to the spot. Not good. Good thing I was hidden behind one of the alcoves and Whoever came past didn't see me. Checking the coast was clear, I stepped forward and pushed the ajar door further open. I peered inside and silence met my gaze. No one was inside. I frowned. The slight movement of curtains being disturbed by the cool night breeze led my eyes to the opened window. Shit, who was here? Not my parents that's for sure. They would've used the perfectly fine front doors. Just great (!). I'm in a spooky mansion with a stranger in the dark.
I plucked up courage I didn't even knew I had and silently tiptoed back to my room. Reaching behind the door I felt and grasped the handle of my steel baseball bat. Thank you Talia! She had given me the bat for my birthday last year. I had raised an eyebrow at her. "Incase of emergencies," she quickly explained.
Crash! It sounded from the east wing -the library. I prayed that whoever was here was not very strong or violent. Who am I kidding. People that broke into places tended to be prepared and most definitely posed a danger. I slowly moved towards the library. My heart pounded against my rib cage and I had a death grip on the bat that kept slipping in my sweaty palms. I peered around the half closed door when I reached the library. The room was cold due to the absence of a lit fireplace. I scanned the expanse of the room and spotted the outline of a tall, black figure. My lips clamped shut to prevent a gasp from escaping. I was positive this was the shadow from before. It shuffled around and rummaged through the bookshelves, mumbling and cursing. As books fell, I shifted forward to get a better view. The tip of my foot nudged the door. It squeaked. Unfortunately the shadow heard the sound and turned around. I was immediately pulled into glowing, violet eyes. A scream lodged in my throat. Seriously, violet eyes with an unearthly glow. Before I could react, 'it' was across the room, around the door and behind me. A firm hand was over my mouth. I desperately fought the vice grip that was holding me. I also dropped the bat. Stupid!
"Shhh... Don't make a single sound," a male's voice whispered. The voice had a chilling but calming effect. "I don't want to hurt you if you do as I say." My eyes widened up to the size of walnuts at the threat. I nodded. "Now I'm going to remove my hand and you are going to keep quiet." It's not like anyone would hear me anyway. I was on my own.
He slowly uncovered my mouth and I gulped air into my shrivelled lungs. I hadn't noticed I stopped breathing. I also became aware that he now had a firm grip on my neck instead. He stood behind me, body pressed against my back. Panic rose and blood rushed through my ears.
"Who are you? What do you want?" I managed without a tremor.
"I ask the questions and you answer," he commanded. "Where is it?"
"What are you talking about?"
He paused. "Something old and I have a feeling you have or know about." He couldn't be talking about that scruffy tome right?
"What is it exactly?" I stalled.
"Nice try. You asking for confirmation means you already know. Just hand it over." Crap.
"I think your mistaken. I don't know anything. Please let me go," I pleaded. For some reason I had a feeling he narrowed his eyes. The silence was deafening.
"What makes you think it would be that simple?"
"Please... I swear..." I couldn't finish.
Another pause. "Let's assume you're innocent," he said. "If you breathe a word that I was here..." I heard him loud and clear. "And take the advice: people closest to you aren't always what they seem." And in a second he was gone. I felt nothing but the breeze stirring my hair as he disappeared. The sudden cold that replaced the guy's body heat was shocking. I collapsed against the door frame and glanced around, breathing hard. Even in the dark, it looked like a tornado had tore through the shelves. What the hell just happened?