Chapter 40: Then, it was dark

Everything is blurry. Everything hurts. Images flicker in front of your eyes, or perhaps behind them. There are people leaning over you. You don't know where you are, or why. You can't see your legs, you can't feel your arms. The heaviness of your pulsing head makes up for the indescribable lightness of the rest of your body.

There's an inevitable point when you wonder whether, perhaps, you died.

You're on a stretcher, air whooshing past your ears. The blurry faces above you let out indistinct noises. The fog clears out for a second, and the incoherent, disarticulated sounds suddenly turn into words carrying vaguely familiar meanings. A voice asks for your name. You move your lips to say it, but by the time you do, you forgot it.

You have a feeling that there's something else, very important, that you can't remember. At one point, they shout to you to lie down, and you find it strange, because you don't remember getting up. 

There's something wet pouring down your cheek, you hope it's not blood.

There are strong lights above you and you close your eyes. It hurts. The stomach-churning taste in your mouth makes you think you might have thrown up, but you can't remember. They're talking to you again. You can't hear them anymore. Everything is overridden by the strong ringing in your ears. By the time you slide inside the white MRI suite, the image in front of you flickers, and you blank out again.

There's music playing in the distance. It's a melody you think you've heard before, but can't remember where, or when.

You're in a vaguely familiar white room, fluorescent lights irradiating from the ceiling. You sweat from the heat of them, yet you still feel like freezing.

The lights are blue, and for a second, you almost remember.

Your cheeks burn as you keep running. You can't breathe, you ache all over, and yet, the distant silhouette is just as out of reach, further away with every passing minute. Eventually, the calls turn into soft, hoarse whispers.

A harsh, guttural voice wakes you up. It calls a name again and again. You wish it stopped, because your head hurts.

You don't realise it's your own voice.

You sleep again. This time his hand cools off your forehead, gentle and comforting like a pleasant summer breeze. 

Everything is fine, now that he's here. 

He'll make the fear go away, just like he always does. Your cracked lips stretch in a painful smile. Relief washes all over you, a warm rain soothing the ground's damaged surface.

Your eyes open slowly. The blurriness starts to fade away, your surroundings finally taking a clearer shape. As your vision regains focus, you realise that the face leaning above you is not his, and neither is the soft hand resting on your forehead.

It's your mother's.

You don't need to ask. By the look in her eyes, you understand.

Ummm, I know what you're thinking. But guys, please don't hate me :S :S Tbh,  I was kinda avoiding the updates because we're coming close to the end and I'm not ready to get there just yet :(

BUT...keep reading, because there are still a few chapters left and some THINGS that will happen! 

Can't say too much now, just bear with me a little bit longer and you'll see x