Chapter 26: Rebound

After the concert at Strathmore Centre, Roy gave me flowers. He had come to the first one too, but this time Mom wasn't there, so he must have found it less embarrassing. As he walked me back home, me carrying the bouquet of red, lavender, fuchsia, and pale pink long-stem orchids, we must have looked as if we were going, or coming from a date. I was self-conscious of the looks of the people on the street and their smiles.

I had no idea why everyone seemed to find us cute together.

After we came out of the subway at Van Ness, still a good fifteen minutes walk from my house, we passed by the gym. A bunch of guys chatted loudly in front of it but engulfed in our own conversation, we didn't pay them any attention.

I only became aware of the steps following us after we'd already turned left from the avenue onto one of the quieter, residential streets. I thought I heard stifled snickering behind us and shot a concerned look towards Roy. Our eyes met. I increased my pace, but it was too late.

"Oh, jeez, what have we got here. Roy-boy and the anorexic bitch. Isn't this a match made in heaven?"

"Yeah, right. I bet they're just study-buddies."

"No, look, he brought her flowers. Hoping to get some action tonight, buddy?"

 One of the voices was familiar, but couldn't quite remember where I'd heard it before. And I didn't really feel like turning around to satisfy my curiosity.

The snickering got louder. I felt someone trying to snatch the flowers out of my hand. As I held onto them, he only managed to pull out some of the orchids, but the bouquet was now ruined. I turned around, my eyes burning with hatred and anger.

I had finally remembered whose voice that was.

Just as I was opening my mouth to say something nasty, Roy beat me to it.

"Look, Brad, why don't you just go back to working your abs, or whatever it is that you do in your spare time, and leave us alone."

"Or else? What you gonna do? Solve an equation?"

This was bad; there was no one else on the street. Despite the fact that Roy was trying really hard to act cool, I could sense that he was really scared.

"Come on, Roy, let's go."

We turned around to walk away, but Brian grabbed him by the shoulder, forcing him to face him.

"Are you into little boys, Roy?"

Roy didn't answer, and Brian shoved him provokingly. "Because that's what she looks like naked. Fucking bee stings, that's what she's got. I know, cause I've seen them."

My knees turned into jelly. The memory, which I thought buried somewhere in a dark vault of my mind, came back with all the intensity of the fear and the shame. I backed off, my whole body shaking.

There was a loud whomp and Brian cried in surprise and pain, covering his jaw, in reaction to Roy's punch.

I must say that, for a second, I was impressed. But dear god, was he going to get slaughtered. I had no doubt about it.

I backed off a bit more and reached out for my phone in an attempt to dial 911. I didn't get a chance to, as he other guy spotted me straight away. He shouted, grabbed my wrist and twisted it until my grip loosened and the phone fell on the pavement, coming apart. Tears started to sting at the corner of my eyes, and I tried my best to hold them in - I wasn't going to give them the satisfaction.

I gasped as Brian punched Roy in the stomach; Roy fell on his knees, shriveling in pain. His whole body jolted when Brian kicked him in the face. Blood streaming out of his nose, he tried to get up, but was kicked back down again.