Chapter 7: Vodka Lemonade

On Friday evening I went to Chloe's house, so we would get ready together for the mighty party. She had insisted on lending me one of her dresses, a red pencil one that was showing much more of my legs than I was accustomed to and now she was applying foundation on my face, even though I didn't really need it.

"So this is why he's been avoiding you all week! I mean, everyone knows he likes you, but I can't believe he actually asked you out!"

"Well, he didn't technically. He never said it."

"You know what I mean. I don't know what to say though... I mean, he's a nerd!"

I didn't feel the need to point out to her that I was also a nerd, probably an even bigger one than Roy.

"I think you can do better. You'll see. I'm making you really pretty, all the guys are gonna hit on you tonight."

I grimaced. I didn't really think I could do better. I hadn't told her about my birthday, or the embarrassing rejection that ended it.

I also hadn't told her that I had already agreed to go on a date with Roy — sort of.

The day before, he had waited for me after school.

We walked together slowly next to each other, without saying anything for a while, across the schoolyard devoid of the daily hustle and bustle that I was used during breaks. When Roy breathed in for the third time in a row within a couple of minutes as if he was about to say something, but no words came out of his mouth, I blurted out: "Yes, I found your presentation."

"Oh", was his response. It was only after a few seconds of silence that he continued. "You don't have to say yes or no right away. I mean, I don't want to push you."

"This Sunday, 2 o'clock. Meet up at Johnny Rockets, and then, movies."

It was completely the opposite of what I thought I would say when I opened my mouth.

His eyes lit up. "Awesome!" 

He had a spot on his forehead that I couldn't stop staring at.

"So, what do you think?"

Looking in the mirror, I had to admit that Chloe had done a great job with my makeover. My hair was now long and neat, thanks to her hair straightener. The dark eyeshadow and eye-liner made my eyes look huge and the red lipstick added a pleasant contrast to my pale complexion.

"Now, put these on", Chloe said with well-gained authority, throwing at me a pair of shoes.

"No way. I'm fine with everything else, but don't make me wear heels!"

"I guess you're right. Mom might become suspicious if we dress up too much."

She had lied to her mother that we were going to the birthday party of one of our classmates. Even though I didn't like it, I had to reinforce the lie. That was my main role in this friendship. I was the nerdy girl who never did anything wrong or adventurous — or so her parents thought —therefore, I added credibility to Chloe's lies and the illusion that, if I was going to be there, it meant that it was "safe".

She took back the high heels and packed her pair in a handbag, then started curling her hair in front of the mirror. I watched her with slight envy. She was really very pretty, with long dark blonde hair and green eyes, skinny waist, long legs, and a decent chest, unlike me. And more importantly: she knew it.

She hadn't always been like this though. Back when we became friends, she always wore her hair tied and didn't care much about fashion. Then, during the summer holiday before high-school she had a growth spurt. That same summer she went on a summer camp, where, out of the parents' vigilant eye, she discovered that she'd become attractive to boys. After that, looking pretty became one of her top priorities, and, especially since she'd started dating George, she was reasonably popular.