Chapter Five

A/N: At the end you'll find the best actor I could find to play Cade!  Also, sorry it's that this is a late/short update. Normally I update on my days off from work, but I've been getting called in to cover and today is my first day off in awhile. So, I wanted to get something out. Enjoy!

I groan, "Just shut up and give me the strongest coffee you have." I pause before deciding to go with it, "And, I just thought I'd check up and make sure you were still planning on keeping your promise." Maybe this could turn out better than I expected.

While I obviously hadn't planned this, Cade doesn't have to know that. Maybe I can make sure he's afraid of me enough that I won't have to worry about moving Miles and myself anywhere.
Cade looks pale, almost like he might be sick. That mixed with his blonde hair makes him look like a ghost, "No, I mean, yes, of course I'm not going to tell anyone." He starts fidgeting with a cup, "Uh, that'll be four seventeen. For the coffee."

"Good." I hand over the money and continue to stare Cade down while he makes my coffee. This works as I hoped, I can tell that he is nervous by the way his hands shake. The negative part of this, is that I have a minute to really look at him.

Cade is actually quite tall, I would guess probably 6'3". He's also on the lanky side, but I could tell there was some muscle on him by the way that his back moved under his shirt. He looks a lot less like a preppy loser in his work uniform, and a lot more like a normal guy. If I was a different girl, I might even say he wasn't bad looking.

I shake my head, realizing I probably look like an idiot. This hangover is really messing with my head.

"Here you go." Cade's hand shakes a little while he hands me the coffee cup and for a moment, I think that I detect a tinge of pink on his cheeks. Without a response, I spin around and leave, not sparing another look at Cade.

On my walk back home it's just me and my thoughts. I can't believe that I would just so happen to chose the coffee shop that this person, who holds my life in his hands, works at. Life sure has a sick sense of humor.

Surprisingly though, I can't help but notice how amazing this coffee is. It is definitely the best I've ever had, and can't even come close to the coffee I got at my favorite shop. These thoughts only made me angrier.

I just found the best place to get coffee in this city, and I can't go back because of stupid Cade. Granted... maybe I could stop in every once in awhile just to make sure he's properly afraid. That wouldn't be weird...

I'm broken out of my thoughts as I step into my apartment building, Miles and the others are getting back the same time as me. Miles runs over, a nervous smile on his face, "How are you feeling?"

"Better, thank you." I scoop him up in my arms before ruffling his hair. Looking at Nicole I add, "Thanks for watching him, that bug came out of no where. But I'm glad it's gone." I have my own nervous smile on my face.

"Of course. The more the merrier! We'll see you guys tomorrow?" Nicole asks.

"Actually, I have a later start at work tomorrow. So I can take Miles, and Austin if you need me to?" I add the last part after my subconscious reminds me of how much Nicole does for us, and even though I need to make this morning up to Miles, I owe her so much.

"It's okay, you two spend some time together." She smiles before heading upstairs after Austin.

"Hey kid, come here?" I ask Miles after sitting on the couch. Unsure, he slowly makes his way over before crawling up and sitting between my legs. I wrap my arms around him, "I'm so super sorry about this morning."

Miles shrugs in response, but doesn't say anything.

"No. I promised you I wouldn't do that and I broke my promise. That's not okay, and for that I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to, but that's not an excuse." I rest my head on his small shoulder and look at his face, trying to read his expression.

"Did something happen?" Miles asks, his voice small.

"Nothing like that. The cops showed up, so I had to help someone and they ended up finding out who I was. Or, at least, they know what I look like and that I'm a girl."

Miles looks so sad, and it breaks my heart to have to tell him this. He's too young to have to know about the majority of things he does know, but we don't keep any secrets. That was another promise we had made each other, and this is one that I will never break. "Are we going to have to leave?" He looks up at me with wide eyes that are full of fear.

"I don't know. I thought so, that's why I was upset. But I think there might be the chance that he won't tell anyone." I try to offer a reassuring smile.

"Okay." Miles pauses before adjusting and snuggling in, "I like it here."

"Me too kid." I run my hands through his hair, "Me too."

Scott Eastwood as Cade