Chapter 13

It was Aunty Bamike who came into the room and broke the news to her. She had been staying in big daddy’s house since her mum was dropped off at the hospital for her caesarean section the day before. When she appeared in Lolade’s room, she knew by her facial expression that something was wrong. She ran her palms down her face and breathed heavily before coming to sit by Tomini on Lolade’s bed. Holding her right hand, she said in a low tone,

“Tomini, your mum didn’t make it.”

There were tears in her eyes. Tomini did not understand her. What did she mean by her mum didn’t make it? Make it to where? The baby should have been delivered by now. The only news she had been expecting was that of her baby sister’s arrival.

“Aunty Bamike, what do you mean she didn’t make it? I know they won’t discharge her until a few days. They’d be home soon enough.”

“Tomini, your mum and sister didn’t make it. They are gone,” she was shaking her head and tears poured out of her eyes.

She attempted to speak again but a cry came out instead. She turned away from her niece and wept loudly. Big daddy came in and embraced Aunty Bamike, rubbing her back. He whispered something in her ears and she left the room, a hand over her mouth. The sound of her muffled tears shook Tomini. She didn’t mean they were dead, right?

“Big daddy,” Tomini said, her voice shaking slightly. “Where did mummy go to? I don’t understand why Aunty Bamike is crying? What is happening?”

She feared what he would say but she needed clarity. Her heart was racing fast.

“Your mum died immediately after the operation. The baby was brought out dead.”

Her whole body shook and she let out a deafening scream. Her uncle rushed to her and drew her into his arms. He simply rubbed her back as she had seen him do for Aunty Bamike. He let her cry and did not leave her until her sobs subsided.

Her cousin made her take a warm shower and brought in a plate of rice. At the sight of the food, she burst into uncontrollable tears and her cousin held her.

Later that evening, Big daddy brought in a cup of ice-cream for her. He placed it by her bedside. She only stared at the cup.

***

They were buried the next day at Atan cemetery, Yaba. It was a short and quiet ceremony with only close family and friends present.

“How are you?” her dad asked after the burial was over. It was the softest she had ever heard him speak. She opened her mouth to speak but a sob broke out instead. Her dad hugged her tightly. She shut her eyes, letting the tears fall unto his shoulder. They held each other for a while. When she opened her eyes, she saw her uncle and his family watching from a distance.

Aunty Bamike followed them home and cooked lunch. She sat at the table with her dad but did not eat. She mixed some rice with stew but couldn’t put the spoon into her mouth. She couldn’t stop thinking of her mum and the sister she never met.

“Jeun Tomini,” Aunty Bamike rubbed her back. She played around with some rice, blinking rapidly to stop tears from falling from her eyes.

“Tomi, eat,” she heard her dad’s voice. She looked at him sitting at the head of the table, chewing. He could eat. His wife and child had died and his appetite was existent. Did he even feel sad?

Aunty Bamike collected her spoon and began feeding her. She ate a few spoons before excusing herself. She took the sleepover bag she had carried to her uncle’s and went up the stairs.

At the top of the stairs, her eyes darted to a pair of sandals at a corner. It was her mum’s. Her eyes stung with tears and she hurriedly entered her room.