Chapter 5

Chapter 5
It was the last week of October and Tomini’s dad was yet to give her back her phone. She couldn’t believe that she survived that long without her phone. It sounded silly but it was true. The first few days had been difficult. Social media had become almost like a basic necessity for her; she had become too attached and so the sudden withdrawal had had great effect on her.

Nevertheless, she had learned to cope with her new lifestyle. Study occupied her. She had home lessons Monday to Friday, and there was extension lesson on Saturday at school, too. She no longer thought of her phone often, and when the thought did seep in, her mood never dampened.

Sunday was her free day or was supposed to be. She no longer had the pleasure of sleeping in on Sunday mornings. The weekly chores that were formally done on Saturdays, she now did on Sundays because her Saturdays were now occupied with her extension lessons at school. Her mother grew tired easily now. She was nearing the end of her first trimester and now had a small bump. Most of the cleaning was now her responsibility and this heightened her stress level. As she couldn’t do thorough cleaning everyday because of school, the work piled up and she tackled them on Sundays.

It was another Sunday, another workday. Her mother usually cleaned the kitchen simultaneously while cooking, and that lessened the work she had to do in the kitchen. She only scrubbed the kitchen tiles and cleaned the plate rack. The sitting room was where most of the work lied. It was quite big. She swept and mopped the floor, cleaned picture frames and furniture, got rid of cobwebs. She washed the guest bathroom also. There was the staircase too, her dad’s study and the rooms upstairs.

By noon, she was nearly done. It was only her room and dad’s study she hadn’t cleaned. She took a break to eat some fried eggs and agege bread that she had asked their gateman to buy from a bread seller that morning. Quite a number of bread sellers hawked passed their house every morning. She cut the bread into half and put the fried eggs in-between the two halves. She made a chilled thick milo beverage and drank it while eating. This was the highlight of her day so far.

After her meal, she fell asleep on the sofa in the sitting room. There was no electricity and the heat caused her to sweat. She woke up at past two in the afternoon, and found her mother in the kitchen picking beans.

“Mummy, Good afternoon,” She greeted.

“Báwo ni, dear. Kú isé (How are you, dear. Well done). I purposely didn’t wake you up. Are you done with everything?”

“I’m not done, remaining daddy’s study and my room. But I just might skip cleaning my room today. Maybe anytime I’m free during the week, I’ll do that. I have Mr. Chuks' chemistry assignment to do, too. Ah!” She let out a sigh.

“I hope your teachers are teaching you well. I mean Chuks and what’s his name, the maths teacher.”

“Yes, mummy. You should see how high I’ve been scoring in my math past questions.”

Tomini was smiling as she spoke. “Me! A whole me! I can’t believe I’m doing so much better at math.”

“Thank God o. You see, your dad has your best interest at heart,” her mum spoke softly.

Tomini nodded as she leaned against the counter.

“That reminds me, we’re going for Aunty Deola’s baby’s naming. Did your dad tell you?”

“Today?” Tomini frowned. She was too tired to go out. All she wanted to do was have a cold shower and go back to sleep. She was exhausted.

“Yes. 4’o clock.”