Chapter 33

Because the Commander was armed with a gun, Hayden had to watch out to avoid getting shot as he quickly hid behind a boulder just as Darabont fired a bullet that missed his target. Hayden desperately needed to fly, but with his wings still healing up from being broken, he knew he had to wait a bit longer.

"Come on out hybrid!" Darabont ordered, "I'm not finished with you!"

With his blood boiling and his fists clenched, Hayden could feel the fire inside him urging to come out as he let out a loud growl. But all of a sudden, just as he was about to jump out from behind the boulder, he heard a loud shriek which he recognized as Angie's as he turned to the direction it came from.

And from where Angie was, she was still dangling off the side of the cliff by the crack that was beginning to break apart, thus causing the piece of the mountain she was hanging on to shift. With her heart banging against her chest with agonizing fear as heavy tears flowed down her face, Angie felt that her hope was lost as she felt another shift while letting out another loud shriek.

"HELP!" she screamed as more tears poured down her cheeks.

After hearing Angie's screams, Hayden too felt his heart banging against his chest with terror. Even though he couldn't see where Angie was from where he was hiding, he could tell she needed his help, but with Darabont on the other side of the boulder and with a gun in his hands, Hayden knew he had to do something to help Angie without getting shot.

"You can go to her" he suddenly heard the Commander speak "I"m not gonna shoot you if you do."

"Somehow I don't feel reassured" Hayden grunted.

"I'm serious, I don't want you dead. Well, unless you attack me of course. I just want to finish what I came here for, and I'm gonna give you this one last chance to save your girlfriend. I promise I won't shoot you."

But even though Hayden didn't feel convinced that he was telling the truth, he knew he had to do something to get to Angie. Even if it's worth taking a shot or even using his wings that weren't ready to be used.

And as for Angie, the more the crack she was holding onto began to break, the more she felt death coming to her as she watched herself slowly descending back from the mountain piece that had finally broken off. And as she let out a terrified scream while feeling herself plummeting down, she closed her eyes and waited for the fatal impact. But as she fell, she didn't expect to feel herself landing on something so quickly, especially something that didn't end her life.

At first, she thought she was already dead and was being lifted to heaven, but when she slowly opened her eyes to see the light, that's when she saw herself flying through the air in a pair of strong arms. And when she turned her head, she found herself looking into the green eyes of Hayden. Just when she thought she had lost all hope was waiting for death, her hybrid swept down at the right moment to save her, even if it meant using his wings that were most likely still healing.

And as she held on his broad shoulders, Angie didn't dare to look down as they landed back on the mountain of a flat surface where he gently set her down as he leaned himself against a boulder to catch his breath.

"Hayden!" she gasped as she leaned towards him while putting her hands on his face.

"Are you okay?" he panted.

"Yes" she replied while she spotted his wings that appeared weak "But your wings. They look weak, I don't think they were ready to be used."

"They weren't" he winched as he sank his wings in his back "I knew they weren't ready. But I couldn't let you die."

As his eyes began to water, Angie too felt tears flowing as Hayden took hold of one of her hands as he held it to his face. But even though Hayden had once again saved her life, Angie knew it wasn't over.