Slippers and Taverns

Jimmy collected her the following morning, blush and all. She was dressed and ready when he arrived, the sun already high in the sky, but still his cheeks blossomed deep red as he gave her a shy smile.

“Good Morning miss, I’m to accompany you today,” Cindy smiled at him, opening the door wider.

“Come in, I just need to gather my things,” His jaw fairly dropped in horror as he took a hurried step back. The idea of being in her room seemed to shock him to the core.

“N-no miss, I’ll wait out here,” Arching an eyebrow she looked him over in amusement, his eyes settling anyplace that wasn’t her face and she fought back a laugh.

“Very well,” Shutting the door on him she collected the velvet coin pouch on her bed, tucking it into her bodice, hesitating as her eyes fell on the opened envelope. Sitting on the bed again, she picked the envelope up staring at it as she remembered the words inside. The note for her had been short, to the point, but it was the 4 letters that accompanied it that had captured her curiosity. Cocking her head at the door she made the decision quickly, reopening the envelope and pulling out the unread letters.

Any guilt that she felt at prying into her Stepmothers business was fleeting as she lay out the letters, her eyes quickly scanning over each scripted verse. The first three were meaningless to her, two insipid letters to woman addressed as Martha Pethra and Hillary Yertzan; and a shopping list of objects of undoubtedly unnecessary trinkets for her step sisters. Frustrated she turned to the last letter, what she searched for unknown, but her heart had leapt to her throat as her eyes began to take in the words.

 Mr Jordan Zanies,

My dearest Brother, my late husband death has thrown our plans into disarray. The Prince has taken affection with the foul daughter of his, leaving the promise my husband made me upon our engagement unfulfilled. You are well aware of the prerequisite of my match to the dismal man, for one of my girls to make a match with the Prince, so I write you for guidance. The girl that carries this letter to you is the daughter in question, lovely to look at for some but I assure you that is where her gifts end. If you know of-

A timid knock on the door brought her head up sharply, quickly tucking the letters back into the envelope and into her bodice. Jimmy’s ever pink face peeked round the opening door, glancing around nervously.

“Is everything alright Miss Ellerone?” she nodded, standing and smoothing her skirts.

“Of course Jimmy, I’m ready now,” His eyes were still touched with concern but he nodded.

“Lead the way Miss,”

As they walked around the village Cindy greedily took in her surroundings, making up for the lost day. She noted with a pang of disappointment how similar Barkston was to Draemstone in lay out, the cobbled streets snaking around a centre fountain in a similar fashion. Tufts of grasses fought through gaps in the cobbles, vines creepy over the stone walls between buildings and trees speckled the village around them. Jimmy had taken her too the fountain first as a starting point for their venture and Cindy had admired the smooth marble statue, portraying a king long past- showing the town for the older settlement it was. The atmosphere of Barkston was quieter, a smaller town, Cindy knew that many had migrated from such older towns to Draemstone upon completion of the castle, making Draemstone one of the bigger villages in the kingdom. Moving lithely through the still substantial throng of people, Cindy studied each face she passed, unsure why she was surprised at their familiarity. For her first trip out of her home village, Cindy felt no homesickness, for Barkston could have been a section of Draemstone she’d never explored, for all its difference. Despite her thoughts she kept up an easy chatter with Jimmy.