Thiefs and Debts

Squeezing out the dirty rag, Cindy sat back on her haunches, surveying her mornings work. The foyers marbled floors were all but reflective after hours of polishing. A slight pang in her stomach drew her mind back to her unfinished roll wrapped up in a napkin. With a satisfied nod she stood, stretching before picking up the bucket of dirty water. Pouring it out via the kitchens, she walked quickly toward her meal, stifling a groan at the site that met her.

Perched uncomfortably on a stool, her stepsister Anna was scowling at her surroundings. Cindy eyed her frankly, her green gown too fine to be in the kitchens. Her dull brown hair was pinned up in a twisted braid that gave her head an egg-shaped look. Her sharp features were not altogether unsightly, but the distain that permanently marked her features made her ugly in Cindy’s eyes. Anna’s eyes snapped to hers, and Cindy found the normal loathing there. Unconsciously brushing off her apron Cindy walked further into the room.

“Is there anything I can do for you Anna?” She asked, quickly untying her apron and hanging it up before she turned to find her food, frowning when it wasn’t on the table she left it on. Anna noticed her frown with a smirk.

“Oh? Was that… food, for you?” She sneered, and Cindy raised an eyebrow. “I threw it to the birds,” She said, waving a hand out the window. Pushing away anger, Cindy just smiled.

“Well at least someone got to eat a full breakfast,” Anna frowned; she knew Anna hated it when she failed to wind Cindy up. “Now what brings you down here?” This reminder of her surroundings had Anna staring back around herself in disgust.

“Mother sent me down here,” Her tone showed she was less than pleased with these orders and Cindy sighed, irritation getting the better of her.

“Yes but what for?” Anna’s dark gaze snapped back to her, scowling at her tone.

“I have the money for you to pick up mine and Drea’s gowns,” She ordered, pulling out a blue velvet pouch of coins and dropping it on the table before with a heavy thud. Cindy could only stare at the velvet pouch, seething at the sum of its content. They could not afford to keep on the woman that raised her, but they could spend so much on fabric? Outraged, she did not hear Anna’s prattling till she was screamed at.

“Cindy! Are you listening?” Flicking her gaze back to hers, Cindy didn’t even try concealing her glare, unperturbed Anna repeated herself. “Now mother says that the money for the dresses is exact, so don’t even think of stealing any,” Arrogance dripped from her every word, running down the back of Cindy’s neck in a shuddering hatred.

“I cannot steal what is mine,” Cindy snapped, knowing exactly where this coin will have come from. Her father’s dowry sat before her and she was forced to spend it on a ball she had no wish to attend. A thought struck Cindy and she grinned despite herself up at Anna, a bitter smile. “No matter Anna, our dresses for the ball will be worth every coin, will they not?” Confusion furrowed Anna’s brow, only to be replaced with a look of pity.

“Oh Cindy, you think mother will allow you to attend the ball? How sweet!” Anna clapped her hands, as if speaking to a child. Being patronized rankled Cindy but she tilted her head, giving her a true smile.

“She has already giving permission Anna dear, just this morning in fact,” Horrified, Anna did not linger another moment. Screaming for her mother, Anna fled the room, leaving Cindy to laugh herself to stiches.

Donning her cleaner gown, Cindy had set off from the house. Choosing to walk, she allowed herself time to take in the earthy smells of the cool spring day. The afternoon sun played across her arms, leaving dull warmth. A half hours walk from the village, the estate Cindy grew up upon had a clean air about it that the village lacked. Always smelling slightly of wood smoke and waste, the village was trying upon her senses and not a place she had enjoyed visiting growing up - instead she had ridden with her father around their own grounds, the country air much more pleasant. Now the village was a haven for her, away from her step-mother and sisters she could lose herself in the bustling life that was the villagers.