Revelations and Allies

Staring listlessly at the fire, Cindy watched the flames flicker and dance, slating an endless hunger as it licked relentlessly at the broken branches. She listened to how it crackled and hiss, the separate flames convulsing around each other like whispering lovers. Her bowl of broth sat untouched by her feet, knees tucked up under her chin, secure in her arms embrace.

Eric had been the one to gather her up off the ground, carrying her to the fire while she sobbed in his arms. He hadn't spoken, just cradled her until her tears were spent. Then, when she came back to herself, he had set her down to sit on the ground beside him and there she had stayed since. By now night had fallen and many had retired to their bedrolls, Eric himself had left her with a gentle squeeze on her forearm, his eternal silence never broken and she'd watched him collapse into his blankets. He'd been sleeping restlessly since, but she'd long turned her gaze away from him. Her cheek still ached, a throbbing that settled into a biting headache. She could reach up, she could trace a finger along the swelling, but she just stared into the fire, numbing her mind from considering the horrific situation she was in. It leaked through of course, the thoughts that she was near alone with a psycho path, his team of guards ready to protect her from everything but what threatened her. Even Eric held his duty first, waiting till the Prince was long away before he helped her. Her heart hardened to him, he was weak, and she could not count on him. Even in her current state, a slight surprise echoed through her. Was that where she chose to direct her bitterness? Not at the woman who forced her on this brigade, not on the man who struck her, but the man whose easy smile had haunted her dreams? That made her feel as she'd never felt? Scowling, she eyed the fire accusingly. Yes. That was where she would lay this blame, anything to keep the giant of a man from overshadowing her thoughts anymore. Captain Rayel he wanted to act, Captain Rayel he would become.

"Miss?" Jerked out of her though with a softly uttered cry of alarm, Cindy swung her head around, as her body recoiled from the arm that had tentatively touched her arm. At the pale face that stared back at her, she felt a sort of regret- her reaction evidently scaring the youth who'd addressed her half to death. For that was what he was, a youth. Despite the uniform he so proudly wore, Cindy was surprised to see his age-or lack thereof, in his innocent young eyes. No old maid herself, Cindy felt it strange that she should feel so much older than the boy in front of her, looking to be all of 16 of her 17 own years. But how had such a young boy joined the guard? Besides secure a position in such a prestigious party? His voice called her back out to him and only then did she notice what he held out almost timidly. By the light of the fire, she faintly made out a hazardously butchered piece of meat, rabbit by the looks of the tuffs of fur that still clung in places, and she listened in bewilderment to the youths stumbling explanation.

"Miss, I- uhm, well I know that steaks can be good for hits-" He cut off, shocking her by blushing a deep red to his roots, his eyes darting between her cheek and the ground. "Well, what I mean to say is miss- I know it's no steak, but- uhm, I thought- just maybe... maybe this would help? With the swelling and all?" His hesitant stuttering was oddly endearing, and she fought vehemently against the condescending smile that threatened to curl her lips. She would not do the boy the disservice of laughing at him. Instead she nodded, offering a grateful smile instead. Braved by her reaction his chin came up a little further, going as far as to move closer, bringing the bloody cut up to press gently against her cheeks. His high colour blanched as she winced at the contact, and she brought her hand up to take the meat from his hands. Administering to herself as he sat back, watching her carefully, she smiled again.

"Thank you kindly sir," Her voice was still hoarse, dehydration making itself known. The boy nodded, biting his lip as if he wanted to speak and she tilted her head in silent invitation, yet still he hesitated. After a moment more battle, the youth turned to her resolutely.