Prompt #4 Luca

Perfect Timing

The gun was pointed in my general direction, but I knew all too well that this was a setup. I drew my gun and pointed it dead on the man's forehead. The man's grip wavered, he knew that I wouldn't think twice to shoot him.

He gradually lowers his weapon, but I keep mine in place. "Mr. Rein, I was hoping to do business with you. I am truly sorry for drawing my gun, but you need to lower yours."

"You should have thought that before you did."

I let him give his last word, "What?", and I cocked my gun back then fired.

I whisper, "I'm the one who is sorry, I didn't choose this life." I grab his wrists and begin dragging him out the back doors to the woods.

I hear the crunching of leaves that weren't caused by my feet. I rapidly drop the man's wrists and instantly scan the area. "Ezra, why are ya' dragging a dead body?"

"Adonis, a walk in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant."

"Okay? Well, Gideon wants us at his beckoning call."

"When does that scum doesn't need us to do his dirty work. I honestly don't like murdering people every other day. It has become the new norm for me, it shouldn't be normal." The weight of the man's corpse, that I will never know the name of, slowed my journey to the sinkhole. "Soon enough this hole is going to be full and reeking of rotting flesh."

"We should throw him out of power."

"We can't, but we should. I think about that every day of my worthless life. And every time, it comes out with us dead or in jail." What if we do, have alibis, and frame it on someone else. Could we get away? "Never mind, I got a plan. Are you okay with death or jail?"

"Thank the high heavens, Ezra came to his senses."

I throw the man into the hole but not before, "We are going to avenge you, and all of those who you land on." It's about time that Gideon gets ruled out. I could go home to Malay and we could finally be normal.

"Ezra, we've got company." I turn around and notice the Feds. I look at the gloves on my hand and back at the approaching Feds.

"We are joggers, and I have gloves on because I don't want to spread the poison ivy that I got yesterday from gardening."

"You have a garden?" Adonis asked as the Feds stood in front of us.

"Yeah, Malay always wanted one. I wanted to surprise her when she gets back."

"How nice. We are investigating a crime scene. So why are two men in their twenties walking in the woods, and you have gloves, why?"

"I'm Ezra and this is Adonis. We were taking a jog along the paths." I look down at my gloves, "I was cleaning an area to create a garden and got into poison ivy. I know Adonis is deadly allergic so I wore gloves."

The Feds give me weird looks before shrugging their shoulders and walking towards the sinkhole. I pull Adonis to the side, "We've gotta get outta here or frame Gideon, first." He nods his head, but I know that he's contemplating whether he should turn me in.

I rip of my gloves and stuff them into my pocket, "Ezra, you know I would never turn you in. Those Pigs can catch you themselves." Not so much knowing Gideon. I've got to move fast. Malay would never forgive me if I got arrested, or if she found out what I have to do.

"Adonis, you've been a great friend, however, I would never forgive myself if you got put in the pin for being an accessory."

"No, I will go. I'm-" His sentence was stopped short, due to the ringing of gunshots.

We run separate ways, it's better this way. I stopped when I came across a shed that I've run pass twice. Wandering around, running away from the Feds and the gunshots, I decided to take a look.

The door squeaked on its hinges as I pried the old thing open. I flinch, expecting something or someone to come at me, but no. The shed held stairs that led to a dark hole. I take a step in and the door slammed, closing itself. "Okay..." I said as I heard the mumbling of voices and a loud screech.

The stairs began to rattle as the thumping of running feet fills my ears. "INTRUDER" Something broke the air as a dart hits me dead in the neck. When the girl that shot me came close enough, it was Malay. She gasps when I tumble to the ground, losing the ability to stand. "אבא, האיש הוא לא." She screamed down the hole, desperation stealing her beautiful features.

A heavyweight consumed me, my eyelids were too heavy to keep open. "Good night, my love."