Prompt #3 Luca

What It Takes

Living day by day is what people see. But really I'm dying inside. Knowing that you can never receive love is absolute horror, and having a crush, makes it ten times worse. Having the power to make spaghetti with your mind, sucks.

"Bethany, Hailey, get over here. We got another one." I turn towards Hailey and nod. Being a pathologist isn't as fun as it is depicted on television.

"Hailey, why do we always have to clean up other people's messes? I mean, we didn't chop out their organs."

"Beth, you could probably replace their intestines with spaghetti, no offense."

"None taken. You still with that one guy?"

"GIRLS, I SAID WE HAVE ANOTHER ONE."

"Jesus Megan, Hailey and I were taking our sweet time because we don't care that Natalie thinks she's hemorrhaging, but she's simply on her period."

Megan keeps a stern face as Hailey smacks my hand, giving me a hard high-five. "You know that I can fire you guys, right?"

And that's when we get back to work. I walk into the glass double doors that Megan help open so politely, waiting on us. I swat at the house flies that buzz around the corpse, which was laying on the red-stained sheets. However, Hailey tackles the situation differently by using her telekinesis and squashing the flies.

My stomach growls, soon enough spaghetti falls at my feet. "I'm done with life. I just wish that I could have more helpful powers, other than feeding the homeless."

"Beth, be lucky you even have anything, unlike me. Hailey has telekinesis and you have... spaghetti creating skills that no one else has."

"Megan, you have the power to be sympathetic with anyone." She was about to say something when our emergency alarm and lights go off. "There's no time, we gotta go."

"Someone has to grab the corpse."

Me and Hailey reply, "NO!"

We raced for the door, not caring if we left anything or anyone behind. I make it inside the air vent as someone burst through the doors. When all the dirt and dust settles down, I get a clear view from the vent. I inwardly gasp, Grady, my crush, stands still in the room. The vein in his neck was throbbing, his eyes were glowing red, and he was looking around like there was no tomorrow.

SPAGHETTI! He turns in my general direction, flinches, and walks his way toward the vent. Well, I've lived a good life. His eyes turn a deep grey before charging the other way, where Megan and Hailey were hiding. How am I supposed to stop him? He can hear every thought inside my head. Don't think?

I kick the vents hatch and tackle him, only to be flipped over onto the corpse. Well, there goes that. "CHICKEN!" Why did I say that? I jump off the table and start doing the chicken dance around him. What am I doing?

"Beth, what are you doing? More or less, how?" I open my mouth to speak, but I couldn't form words. "Where are your friends, we gotta get out of her, and fast." When I didn't stop, nor could I, He grabbed my shoulder and shook me fiercely. That is when I gain back control over my body. Out the window stood a silhouette of a human, but it disappeared the second I saw it.

"They're behind the file cabinets. So you're here to save us from the Controllers."

A deep sigh escapes from his lips, "Sort of."

We walk behind the cabinets, Hailey and Megan's bodies lay scattered on the floor. Avoiding the pools of blood wasn't the only issue we had, the issue was how did their body parts get hacked apart and then disperse all over the floor. I look to see how Grady is handling it; his face had gone completely pale, his eye sockets were sunken, he looked as if he were to vomit.

"We have to leave them behind. Beth, you have to trust me on this, if you want to make it out alive."

How I've always wished for my crush to notice me, but it can't be this easy. Wherever I go, death and destruction follow. "I'm sorry. But you are not safe with me. I have to leave."

I ran as fast as I could, getting as far away that I could. It's for the best. He will survive, unlike your friends. With my head down, I let the tears flow freely, knowing that there was no one to see me. I was trying my best not to turn around, but I did. He stood outside the doors with an unreadable expression. Not wanting to see anymore, I started running again.

No one but you can save you from this little diversion. You know you're meant to be with him. But it can't happen without anyone else having to suffer the consequences. The whole city was rundown, making my dreary mood worse. Stopping at an old Pizza Hut, where I first met Grady. No one can find out. No one.

Finding the leather booth that we sat in only brought back memories of what we could be. I sit down in the exact position, reliving the pleasant time. Grady sat down next to you, giving Magan and Hailey a shy wave. I introduced him, "This is Grady, my best guy friend. Grady, meet Hailey and Megan." They all exchanges shy hellos, "Well I'm going to get the regular." I turn towards Grady to ask, "You okay or do you wish for something else?" He shakes his head as I walk to the cash register.

There was the little bell that chimes as someone walks in, I suspect it to be a Controller, but no. It was Grady. "Why are you here?"

"Well, Beth, I could ask you the same thing."

We stare at each other for a bit before he sat next to me as he did then. "They were the good times before I knew your actual identity. No one was supposed to know, were they?"

"No they weren't but we can't change the past. If the Controllers didn't find out, the town wouldn't be in ruins, Megan and Hailey wouldn't be dead, and we wouldn't know each other."

"When you put it like that, I don't regret that the Controllers found out."

"Why does the world have to be this way? Why can't we be normal people without supernatural powers?"

"Because it wouldn't be much fun, without them." He snaps his fingers, the windows and doors break down, as an army of Controllers enters. "You would have never guessed that a mind reader was the leader of the Controllers, now do you?"

They swarmed in around me and I gave the answer he would have never expected, "Yes, that's why I made more friends." I snap my fingers and a hole in the flooring opens up as the dead rise. "Bet you weren't expecting that, were you?"

*** Two updates in a week. I'm taking a lot out of my IT class.