Chapter 15: Types of Interrogations

Eve

"Would you like to stay with Drake?"

That question had been replaying itself in my mind for the majority of the day. They wanted to question Drake and I on not only the assault, but on what Chad did to make me move from New York. And after everything Drake and I had been through, I said "No". After all of the secrets we'd shared, I still couldn't tell him about that party.

"Evelyn?"

I opened my eyes as the voice interrupted my thoughts, and was brought back to the dark interrogation room. "Would you like me to repeat the question?" I nodded slowly, trying to look anywhere other than at the woman in front of me. She had dark skin, a softer color than Officer Haldis', with twisty hair pulled into a loose bun.

She may have had a police badge pinned to her chest, but I could tell from the moment she walked in that she was some sort of shrink. I had a feeling I wouldn't be questioned by a normal officer. They deliberately sent in a woman that came off as inviting, motherly. "How long were you and Chad a couple?"

I scoffed. "We were never a couple. We made out at parties, we skipped school together. Then he..." I stopped. "Then I left." The sound of her pen scribbling away, then I felt her eyes on me.

"Drake mentioned that you frequently have nightmares, wake up screaming." I finally brought my eyes to hers, and found that she had abandoned her pen and notebook, and was staring at me.

"I have daddy issues."

She shook her head. "Why aren't you cooperating? We're trying to get Chad put in prison." I laughed. Because that worked so well for Brock Turner.

"I'd like to go home now."

She shook her head, her eyes suddenly hardened with impatience, "I'm afraid you can't go just yet. If we're going to ignore the fact that you basically started a fistfight that endangered the life of Chad, and James, you're going to have to answer some of these questions."

I groaned as she picked up her pen again. "The nightmares where you wake up screaming: do they have to do with the fact that your mother, uh, Lisa Moore, is a well known alcoholic? Or perhaps they're because your father, Colin Moore abandoned you at the age of ten? Or, more likely, they're because of Chad? Answer the question please."

I didn't even know where to start. I was fully aware that she only said those things about my parents to unnerve me, yet it definitely worked. "Chad," I reluctantly whispered. She made some notes. When she looked back up, her eyes were soft again, showing the mother-side that they'd wanted me to see.

"What did he do to you Evelyn?" She asked softly, her pen poised at the ready.

I felt my eyes water, and dug my nails into my palm to fight them. "How the fuck is that relevant to Chad knifing up my boyfriend?" I hissed. She sat back in her chair, surprised at my anger, but she covered it well.

"Chad's told us quite a bit about you," she started, and I felt my stomach drop. "He actually won't stop talking about you, he probably still is."

I hesitated. "What's he saying?" If she didn't know she wouldn't have brought it up. She wanted me to know what he was saying.