Chapter 11: Halloween Parties

Eve

"Why, Eve, why do you have to look so good? You're making me self conscious," Kate told me as she fidgeted with her bright red skirt, wobbling in her heels while we walked down the sidewalk.

"Shut up, you know you look great."

It was Halloween night, and Kate was dressed as Minnie Mouse. She had on black tights, and red pencil skirt, and a black long sleeve tucked in. Her short blonde hair was worn down, a simple mouse headband on, and a black circle nose.

"No, no, you're the one that looks great. Drake is going to faint when he sees you. Or, at the very least, start drooling," she teased with a knowing smile.

I rolled my eyes, hiding my own smile. I was wearing a one piece black outfit, that looked more like leggings and a thick-strapped tank top. The rib cage and every bone below that was painted on the outfit in white, and Kate had painted my face to match; I was dressed as a skeleton. Black heels were on my feet and my black leather jacket in my hand.

When I didn't respond to Kate, she laughed, "That's what I thought."

The two of us had been invited to possibly the biggest frat party of the whole year, a Halloween tradition that apparently started a few years ago when a sophomore threw the wildest party the school had ever seen. He did the same thing for the next two years until he graduated, then his little brother took over and he'd been hosting for the past four years. After his graduation it was expected that their younger sister, who was going to be a freshman next year, continue the family tradition.

We began rounding a corner, and I was just about to ask if she knew where we were going when we came to a street with the biggest houses I've ever seen. Giant pearly white structures, with perfectly manicured lawns and at least four cars in every driveway.

"I forgot how rich you guys are," I laughed, referring to the students at our school. At the end of the street, one of the largest houses was obviously the host of our party. Strobe lights flickered out the windows, music blasted, and people were already passed out in the lawn.

Kate giggled. "Not everyone's rich. My parents have been saving up my whole life so that I could go to that school." I blew a strand of hair out of my face and we continued walking to the party, me admiring every house we passed.

"Your parents sound cool."

She laughed again. "Cool?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "Without the scholarship I was given, I wouldn't have even gotten to go to college." Kate bumped her shoulder into mine.

"You're right, I guess they are pretty cool. You should meet them."

I nodded. "That sounds nice." Kate smiled, but before she could say anything we came up to the party house, blasting music loud enough to shake the whole building.

"Well, this is it." Kate confirmed when a well-known cheerleader dressed as a cat ran by us and puked in the nearest trash can. It was a large white building, not too different from the others. A windy path led to the front door, a separate driveway off to the side that was overfilled with cars. Perfectly cut grass surrounded us, a few trees planted on the sides.

When we came up to the giant front door, Kate considered ringing the doorbell or just walking in, while I wiped my sweaty hands on my pants. This was my first party since... well my first party in a while.