Chapter 7: To Better Days

Eve

Some say that good can come from every bad situation.

But that made me wonder, what good came from what happened to me? I started a new life? I finally left my mother? I left... Chad?

The name still hurt to think of. But it was always nagging at the corner of my mind, begging me to give it attention. That was also, yet another, negative outcome of my experience.

It did not inspire anyone. Chad wasn't punished. Nobody looked at me and felt bad about what happened, wanting to change it.

Nothing good came out of this.

Nothing.

♕♕♕

Kate stayed up with me all night, just listening to me cry about every shit thing in my life. I must have cried out all of the water in my body, it sure felt that way. And although it was a pretty crappy night, I felt as though I had finally made a friend, a good one.

At this moment, I was snuggled in a blanket on our plush living room couch, drifting in and out of consciousness. I was too tired to walk to my room after the heart-to-heart last night, so I collapsed onto the couch where Kate then threw a blanket on me, and that's where I had been.

A hand shaking my shoulder was what made me finally open my eyes, squinting at the bright sunlight shining in from the windows. "What?" I asked groggily, seeing Kate standing at the edge of the couch. Her long blonde hair and usual pink robe made her look similar to a Disney princess.

"It's time to get to class. I wasn't sure if you wanted to go though," Kate told me, speaking in a soft voice. I stretched my arms above my head.

"Eh, what the hell," I shrugged as I started getting off of the couch, "I'd love to see Kyle with a black eye."

"Well, you have one too, Eve."

I groaned as her sentence made me realize the throbbing of my eye where Kyle had punched me. "Dammit," I mumbled.

"Hurry up and get ready. I'll go call Drake about coffee," Kate said as she started shooing me out of the living room.

Once in my room, I pulled out some black jeans and a white cropped t-shirt. I brought them into the bathroom where I took a quick shower and then dressed, managing, somehow, to do this all without looking in the mirror. But when it was time to apply my makeup, I knew I had to.

I slowly turned my head towards my reflection, afraid of what I'd see. What I saw was exactly what I was expecting. My eyes were still puffy from crying last night, red lines stained my cheeks from the tears, and my right eye was slightly swollen in a dark blue color.

I sighed as I took out my makeup bag, realizing that I had a lot of secrets to cover up with it.

♕♕♕

When I walked out of my dorm, Kate still inside brushing her teeth, I was wearing the clothes that I had picked out, my black combat boots, and my leather jacket. No evidence of my late-night crying session was left on my face, but I didn't put any makeup on my black eye-- I wanted people to see who Kyle really was. I did, however, put on my trademark red lipstick.

I was cupping the coffee that Kate had dropped in my hands, letting the warmth spread through my body when I took a drink. There was nice weather today, and matched with the hot coffee I was in a fairly good mood, considering what happened last night.

"You seem to be enjoying yourself," I heard somebody say. I glanced up and saw James standing in front of me, an amused expression on his face. I blushed, having probably looked a little odd, savoring my coffee as I had.