The Attack

Ciara stood frozen behind Kyran, outside his apartment, trying to hide behind the door. Biting her lips, she closed her eyes, attempting not to scream in fear. Kyran's father, Cynfael stood just inside the apartment, asking for her.

From what Kyran had explained to her, Cynfael had never been a particularly good man or, indeed, a good father. He had told her of the incident with Eleanor, the angel sent from Heaven as a test, whose wings he had torn out of her frail body, and left her to rot and die where she fell. Cynfael had also apparently shown no sympathy towards Kyran's mother dying, telling Ciara he was a closed off man, and was an all-to-himself kind of person.

Kyran wasn't an only child, however. Because Cynfael was an incubus, he had bred many children, most dying or being taken into care, foster or adoption homes, due to having no adults around. Kyran's father, however, had given a home to those of his children he hoped would turn out to be promising, or gifted. Kyran had grown up with three sisters - Corbette, Anastasia and Cecily. He had brothers, too - Callaway, Lucian, Burton and Corbin. Each child was about as 'loved' as the next. Of course, Cynfael had many more children than the eight living with him. One might think living with eight half-demon children would be challenging, but Cynfael had coped well. With servants to be used at his disposal, but it had turned out to be easier for him than handling human children (except for the occasional fire started).

When they were a family, and Kyran wasn't introduced to the job he recently left, they had lived in a large manor house in Edom. Edom was a dimension of Hell, along with many others. It was home - or at least, felt like it. Now, Kyran had a new home in his apartment, but it didn't feel so comfortable with a familiar threat inside.

"Ciara," Cynfael's voice echoed eerily down the halls. It was hoarse, but also had some pleasure to it. "Come out, come out, wherever you are."

He moved his hand into the pocket of his waistcoat, and took out a small knife. It was just like Kyran's, but with a black bone handle instead of an ivory color. Peering behind Kyran's back, he spotted Ciara, with her tightened lips and shut eyes, she was praying that nothing bad would happen to her.

Unfortunately for her, prayers were rarely answered when a demon was in range.

"You know, Kyran," Cynfael said, twirling the dagger around his fingers. "The other children have been... promising. I hoped you would live up to my standards as they have done," He pointed the dagger directly at Ciara. "None of your brothers or sisters would dare to even be seen with such... filth." His face was painted with an angry scowl as he spoke.

"Is this because I quit? I'm not a murderer, father. I simply can't do it." Kyran attempted to stand up for himself a little.

"Your mother was far too soft on you, boy. No matter how harsh I could be, I could never quite stomp that kindness out. You're a demon, Kyran." He brought his arm down to his side. "Start acting like one."

Kyran walked back into his apartment as Cynfael advanced on Ciara, moving towards her with a long legged stride. "As for you," he started. "You shouldn't even be here. You're one of the Ordinary Dead. You should have died a while ago," He inspected his dagger. "What a shame, I cleaned this dagger yesterday." He held it to Ciara's throat. She was now shivering with fear. From this close, she could see every tiny detail of his face and body - his scornful eyes; his sharp facial features; the bones of his hands and the depth of his eyes. His hair clung loosely to a pale white skinned skull, draping down in a middle parting neatly across his shoulders. "Looks like I'll have to dirty it again." he sneered, the idea of staining his weapon with blood bringing him a macabre kind of joy.

"Get off of her," Kyran warned, holding his own white handled dagger. "I know you heal quickly, and there's no chance of me winning this battle, but I won't go down without a fight. Now get off of her, or I swear to the Heavens I'll do something you'll regret making me do."