Chapter Eight: The White Room

I am surrounded by black. It's all that exists now. All that matters.

"Coral, honey? Please wake up!" my mom's voice begs from far away. I can't reach her. No matter how hard I struggle.

"Maria, you need some sleep." an unfamiliar voice says, further away.

"No!" mom replies. I'm back in blackness. Then, the sun comes up and I am floating on a silver cloud with a black 9 on it- I'm floating on Cloud Nine, litterly.  I giggle. I look down and I see that I am wearing those dresses ancient Romans wore, I have a gold harp in my hand and I have wings.

'Oh, hell no. I am not an angel!' I exclaim, kicking the cloud. My foot goes through it and I fall through the hole, screaming.

'Damnit, Coral! Watch where you're going!' Chase exclaims, dressed as I am, as he catches me.

'I'm not used to this. Sorry. '

'Yep. Anyway, you need to wake' up. '

'I am awake.'

'No, you're not. You'd be in hell if you were awake.'

'Good point.' I sit up in his arms with a gasp. 'Is everyone from school okay!?' I am screaming, but he doesnt flinch.

'You are the only one injured. Wake up.'

'I like it here. I mean, look!' I play the highest note on the Harp and cotton candy pops up beside me. I grab it and eat it. 'Cotton Candy whenever I want!'

'I'm done trying to convince you. You've been in a Coma for four weeks. Wake up, or Doctors will pull the plug.'

I choke on my Cotton Candy. 'Four weeks!? Oh my god! I missed Finals!'

'Is that all you care about?' he sounds amused.

'How's Alyssa handling this?' I ask, as I blush.

'She's about to break down.' I nod, a little upset.

"Coral? I know you can't hear me, but I miss you. Please, please wake up!" I feel something warm against my hand, almost like a hand in it. Chase keeps begging and I try to open my eyes. I try to squeeze his hand, but feel like I am unsucessful. "Oh my god! NURSE! She squeezed my hand!" he yells. I hear scattered footsteps.

"Coral? Can you hear me?" I try to nod, but my body wont move.

"Come on, Coral! Move your hand!" No matter how hard I try, I can't. "Please, Coral! You've been in a coma for five weeks! I need you to open your eyes! I need you to!" Maybe it's the desperation in his voice, but I force myself to move my hand.

"Get the doctor!" Someone runs out and I feel people checking my vital signs.

"Wake up! Coral!" mom and Alyssa sound hysterical. The harder I try to open my eyes, the further away they sound.

I'm back on Cloud Nine.

'How do I wake up? 'I beg, tearfully to the sky.

'I don't know'. Chase responds.

'You're no help !' I snap. I force my mind to clear.

"Coral, move your hand!" Someone says. I remember a time when my band and I went out to Dairy Queen, and then Alyssa threw PB Sundae at me and we all got into a mega food fight. We're never allowed back to that one again. I use that as my strength and slowly, oh so slowly, I feel my sleepiness going away. I can't open my eyes, so I remember when I kissed Chase. Suddenly, I know I need to wake up. Using my friends for my strength, I open my eyes and the light makes me shut them again. I slowly open them and I stare at a boring white ceiling.