Chapter 39

I was awoken the next morning to my phone ringing somewhat obnoxiously. I looked over at Niall to be sure he wasn't bothered by the noise before rolling out of bed to fetch the device. The light from the screen pained my eyes and caused a blaring headache to take over. "Hello?" I grumbled into the phone.

"Audrey? It's your mother," her voice was very prompt over the phone.

"Why the hell are you up?" I hesitated looking over at the time. It was five in the morning here. I hadn't been asleep very long.

"It's not that late here, just past midnight," she informed me and I rolled my eyes. "Anyways, I've decided on a date that I'd like you home by."

"Cassandra," I mimicked her attitude as best as I could. "I already have a date planned to return."

"Audrey Ella," my mom's voice held stern.

"I hate it when you call me that."

"I'm going to be picking you up from the airport on the twenty second."

"How are you even so sure I'll be able to come home that day?" I complained. "I was going to stay here with Niall for Christmas."

"Christmas is a family holiday and I would like you home," she replied. "Also, this year, all of our family is coming over on Christmas Eve."

"All?"

"Yes, every aunt, uncle, cousin, niece, and nephew that can come are going to be coming."

"I don't have any nieces or nephews, I'm an only child and so are you."

"Your father's side of the family," she pointed out.

"Oh, so you guys didn't get a divorce?"

"We're working things out," her voice sounded cold. "I've already looked at flights coming into New York that day. I will be waiting for your arrival."

With that, she hung up the phone. I threw my phone back into my bag and landed myself in the computer chair, rolling my head back before pulling up the page that I needed to, to change my flight.

It wasn't long before I rested my head on the desk. I'm assuming that's where I fell asleep as well, considering the next thing I knew, Niall was lightly shaking my shoulder. 

I squeezed my eyes together before opening them and sitting up. "Hm?" I stretched.

"You alright?" He asked, letting a smile spread across his face.

"Yeah," I nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just tired."

"I could've guessed that one," he laughed. "When did you find yourself over here?"

I looked around. "At the desk?" I lightly touched the mouse for my laptop. "My mom called me earlier. She said she wants me home in time for Christmas."

"The twenty third?"

"Twenty second," I frowned, looking back at the page. "I guess I was just about to switch flights," I paused and looked back over to him. "I'm sorry, I know we were planning on spending Christmas together."

"It's fine. Family is important," he nodded. "Besides, I can always change my flight and meet you there. No big deal," he shrugged then sat back down on the bed.

"You sure?" I asked again.

He nodded then collasped back onto the bed. I could only assume he was as beat as I was. I turned back to the computer to finalize my flight change then shut down my laptop. I felt bad that I had to leave Niall for Christmas after we had planned to spend the holiday together.