Chapter 15

I walked up to the bench cautiously. I could feel my face being twisted with confusion about it. "Audrey!" My dad stood to his feet to give me a hug and the person with him stood awkwardly from his spot as well.

I barely gave my dad a hug as I kept my eyes on the familiar stranger. I walked out of the hug, past my dad and stood in front him. He gave me his old wide smile. I brought my hand to my mouth as I felt my eyes begin to tear. He wrapped his arms around me in a hug. It was one of those comfort hugs where I wasn't returning the hug.

I felt his arms leave my body. He stood back and looked at me. "Nice to see you again," he smiles once more.

"Harry," I said in a hushed tone as I threw my arms around him. "You're okay."

His arms wrapped around my waist in reaction to my embrace. "Yeah, I am," his voice had a tint of light laughter.

"I'm so sorry I came here without you," I say remembering my guilt towards it.

"Don't be. I wouldn't have expected you to wait around."

"Alright, kiddos," my dad interrupts. "We can all catch up over breakfast."

I cleared my throat immediately terminating my tears as I made eye contact with my mom. She had a smug grin on her face when she saw me pick myself up.

+++

"So," Harry starts. "What have you been up to here in California? It's treating you well?"

I nod. "Very well. I've met a lot of new people," I look over at him. We were now walking down the street on our way to a tattoo place he always talked about. "I got a tattoo."

"You did?" He seems surprised. "Where?"

I point to the area under my bra. "I'll show you later."

"Tell me what else you've been up to, miss Audrey. I haven't been around you in forever!"

"I don't know where to start!" I laugh. "I'm in a sorority. I still party every week. I'm doing well in all my classes. I coach soccer and volleyball."

"You're a coach?"

I nod again. "I love it. The kids are always a joy with their wonderful imaginations."

"Like what?" He looks over at me.

"They think I'm dating this one guy and," I shake my head.

"You're seeing someone?"

"He's just a friend," I say. "A really, really close friend." My speech is slow and quiet as I avoid what I should say.

"I know that tone you're using."

"What tone?" I question. "I'm not using a tone. What are you talking about? You must be a little hazy, mister. You just got out of a coma. How do you even remember me?" I say defensively as I turn the questioning over to him.

He laughs at me as he opens the door to the tattoo parlor. "Pictures and videos. And don't think all that rambling got me distracted."

I give out a pathetic laugh as I walk past Harry and into the parlor. "I didn't think it would," I lie.

I look about the place and around at all the walls. Multiple pictures and band t-shirts covered almost ever last inch. "Audrey?" I heard someone speak up.

I turned to them, a little freaked out that they knew my name. "Zayn? What are you doing here?"

"I just finished up here. I'm waiting for Louis to come pick me up."

"What'd you get?" I asked making my way to him.

He points to the obviously covered area where it was on his shoulder. "I got a snake here," he gives me a half smile. "What are you doing here?" He asks me.