━━━ 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

❛ 𝚗𝚘𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚕𝚐𝚒𝚌 ❜
ᵃ ᶜᵃʳᵒˡ ᵈᵃᶰᵛᵉʳˢ ᶠᶤᶜ ᵇʸ ˢᵉᵇˢᵗᵃᶰ

✧ ✦ ✧

VERS' eyebrows cocked at the page before her. "Huh, Lawson's plan for the light-speed engine." Her eyes moved to the corner of the page, where a stamp read 'PROJECT TERMINATED' in red bold letters. "I wonder why they terminated the project..."

"Uh, maybe because she's cuckoo?" Nick offered, making Holly chuckle quietly. Nick held up his pages next, showing different scribbles that looked like gibberish to him and Holly.

Vers lowered her book. "Kree-glyphs?"

"What the hell are Kree-glyphs? The only glyphs I know are hieroglyphs." Holly said amusingly before moving closer to what Nick was holding. Vers took it into her own hands, looking the page up and down. "Lawson is not cuckoo. She's Kree."

Nick and Holly shared a look.

"Well, she's dead too." Holly pursed her lips, eyes shifting around her binder page.

"What?" Vers asked, heading snapping up in her direction. She leaned over, reading the print as Holly read,

"She crashed an Asis aircraft doing an unauthorized test flight. Took a pilot down with her."

"That's why security here is so unfriendly." Nick commented. "They're covering up a billion-dollar mistake." Nick held up a photograph. "Oh, and your light-speed engine is toast."

"Yikes." Holly frowned, finally looking up at the two.

"When did this crash happen?" Vers asked, studying the grainy photograph.

"Six years ago; 1989." Nick answered as she flipped to the next one.

"Who was the pilot?"

"Uh..." Holly hesitated, scanning over her book again. "Most of the thing's redacted, but it looks like someone by the name of Maria Rambeau had something to say on it. Last person to see them alive."

The pager that Nick wore buzzed and he glanced down, but wasn't able to see the message. He leaned towards Vers. "You okay?" He then looked at Holly and gave a short nod, almost missing her gaze. Holly nodded back as Vers continued to look down at the pictures.

Vers hummed, and Nick nodded animatedly so she would see. "Be back in a minute."

When Nick was gone from sight, Vers reached behind her and grabbed the red folder that Nick held previously. Flicking it open, Vers thumbed a few pages over to a photograph. There, Lawson, Maria and a man stood, all smiling. In the back, was a blonde woman climbing into a jet with her face half-turned to the camera.

Holly looked at the photo. She cocked her eyebrows. "Oh shit..." she looked into Vers' eyes. "That's you."

Various memories flashed in Vers' mind, some with Lawson, Maria, crashing the jet into some pine trees... Breathing out shakily, Vers glanced at Holly with pursed lips. "I gotta make a phone call."

"I'll go catch up with Nick then." Holly stated, sounding like a question. Vers stalked away. Holly watched for a moment before turning and jogging off in the other direction.

Pressing the elevator button, she waiting several minutes before groaning, realizing that Nick was currently on his way down. She looked to her right, seeing the stairs sign. She glanced towards the ceiling. "Jesus kill me now..."

Holly pushed the door open, beginning to rush down the stairs, taking rapid steps down to meet Nick on the bottom floor.

Just in time, several SHIELD cars pulled into the underground base. Kellers was the first to exit his vehicle, "She still here?"

"She's cooperating with the investigation, sir." Nick responded, turning with Holly at his side towards the elevators.

"You men stay here," Kellers instructed, turning back to the other agents. He glanced back up at Nick as they all entered the elevator. "I wanna question her alone. Excellent work, Nicholas and Holly."

At the same time, the two agents casted Kellers a strange look. When the doors shut, they turned to each other with a warning glance.

After an awkward pause, Nick pushed his thumb on the elevator pad. "She's on sub level six. I'll get off on five, and take the stairs in case she makes a move. Do a...pincer move. Like we did in Navana." He said falsely on the last sentence, making holly turn her head slightly.

Since Nick was in the middle of the two, he was able to take her hand and give it a squeeze. Holly knew this hand hold to be of a warning and nothing more. She inhaled slightly, chest puffing.

"Right...like we did in Navana." Kellers responded, nodding stiffly at the agent. Holly turned as slowly as she could until she could see Nick in her peripheral. She gave a single nod, to which he subtly returned.

A few more moments and the two exited off the right floor that Vers was on.

Nick led Holly off and when the doors closed, he shook his head towards the elevator. "He's a damn Skrull." Holly exhaled sharply, nodding as they advanced forward to find and warn Vers.

          "VERS!" Nick called out, rushed down the isles of data. The two searched back and forth in search for their foreign friend. When the lights at the end of the room suddenly switched on, Nick shoved Holly into the nearest isle.

He snuck to the edge of the room. Glancing at his partner in the dark, he pressed his index finger to his lips before throwing a spool of film down the length of the room. Holly peaked, watching as the agents run to the opposite end of the room, away from them.

"Go, go." Holly said, barely audible. The pair rushed forward, down the last isle of shelving.

Making it the the main walkway, the two froze when the end of a gun pressed to Nick's temple.

"Was is something I said?" Kellers asked in a low tone.

Nick sighed through his nose before grabbing his wrist. Twisting around, Fury elbows Kellers in the nose before disarming him quickly. Nick shoved Kellers away, now in possession with the gun.

Holly stared, wide-eyed and utterly amazed at Nick's quick reaction. "Damn."

Nick pulled the trigger, slightly shocked when the gun clicked. He threw the weapon, to which Kellers easily dodged. Fury lunged forward, able to land two punches before Kellers grabbed his bicep.

Nick's eyes slightly widened before Kellers punched him in the jaw and threw him into a shelf. Nick groaned.

"Fury!" Holly called out before Kellers landed a single punch in the temple, knocking her unconscious.

Nick groaned, rolling off his back and crawling away as Kellers slowly approached him. "You know," his voice was different now, having a slight British accent. He grabbed his glasses off the floor, inspecting them. "I don't really need these to see. But they do kinda complete the look."

Holly blinked, her head throbbing with a headache as she slowly came back to reality. Nick was now beside her, on his back and still moaning in pain.

"Don't you think?" Kellers asked with a smirk before suddenly get blasted away.

Holly pulled her head back, spotting Vers standing in the doorway.

"Vers!" Holly said with a wide smile before groaning when it sent a pulse of pain through her head.