Chapter 11

Warning: this chapter is all about menstruation. Don't like, don't read.

It's hard to think that it's been almost two weeks since I woke up here. It feels like I've been here way longer.

That day, Alistair's family had left after the movie without too much fuss. I, for one, was glad. I didn't really hate meeting new people but it was intimidating to be surrounded by four new giants, one of which having already scared me once.

For the past few days Alistair had started putting this thing on me. It didn't take me very long to figure out that it was a harness. Which meant either he was planning on taking me for walks, or he was planning something else.

Alistair also put together that jail on sticks. A bed, he called it. It was in the room with all the supplies he had gotten for me. First he only put me in there for naps. One night I had fallen asleep on the couch and had woken up in the crib to Alistair saying my name. Now it was one night there, one night with him. And even now those were tapering off.

But today…. my stomach was turning. My leg was numb yet pained at the same time. My entire body was aching, especially right under my stomach.

And worst of all, my heart dropped.

Because Alistair was right there, crouched by the gate and waiting for me to fully wake up with a smile on his face. And I was praying that my body didn't just ruin everything.

“Good morning, Layla.”

I don't say it back. I can't bring myself to. Nothing feels damp but I can't be too sure. So instead I try to hide my face in my blanket.

Maybe I wasn't as sneaky as I thought. Maybe I looked just as scared as I felt. For some reason, Alistair doesn't chuckle and lift me up like he normally would. Instead, I get a cautious ‘Layla?’ and a hand on my shoulder. My attempts to shrug it off and hide more are ignored.

I give shaky protests as I'm lifted up. My eyes snap open and search the bed. No stains, but I'm not in the clear yet.

“No. Down. Alistair, put me down.”

Alistair is getting frustrated with me. I can tell, he's trying to be patient and see what's wrong. But I'm squirming too much and refusing to sit still. Until he sets me down and grabs my wrists in one hand and my face in the other.

Maybe I do have fear in my eyes, because immediately his gaze softens.

“What do you need?”

I slump. I have to tell him. I can't hide this for a week straight.

“Bathroom….”

“Layla-”

“Bathroom. Will tell. Please?”

A sigh. And I'm let go, aside from one hand. Just like every morning I'm led to the bathroom. Alistair sits me on the seat, and I do my business with a small sigh of relief. Nothing on my clothes, either, shockingly. I guess this was one of the rare times where it didn't start in the middle of the night.

Damn it…. I was not looking forward to this.

~~~~

Layla was acting strange. Usually she doesn't mind me carrying her but today it was like she wanted nothing to do with me! And it stung a little. We were making good progress bonding and something ruined it, apparently. Did I mess up….?

But when I look over to check up on her, I have to refrain from smacking my forehead. She was holding some toilet paper, staring at it and frowning at the red mark on it. Layla wasn't freaking out like she would if she got hurt. And it clicks.