Peace, Love, and Mercy in Islam

Many people accuse Islam of being a violent religion and are quick to point out verses from the Quran that support such an accusation. The truth is, Islam permits fighting in cases of war, but not without including strict regulations as well. These regulations are portrayed in various hadith and verses of the Quran, yet many people who are critical of Islam are unaware of them or choose to ignore them altogether, finding it easier to stick to their original narrative.

This chapter will walk you through some of the many examples in Islamic text where peace, love, and mercy are clearly emphasized and referred over violent and aggression. To be honest, I find it unfortunate that many people are completely unaware of these verses and rulings. Instead the "violent" verses and hadith are the ones most commonly referenced and blown out of proportion, thanks to the actions of extremists and religious fundamentalists. 

Each one of these quotes are cited, in case you doubt me and would like to look them up on your own. So without further ado, let's take a look at all this evidence.

‏ ‏‏

~*~*~*~*The Emphasis on Peace over Violence~*~*~*~*

"Fight in the way of Allah those who fight you but do not transgress. Indeed. Allah does not like transgressors" (2.190).

What does Allah mean by the word "transgress?" Examine the following verses and evidence from the hadith, and you will find out. 

"Except for those who take refuge with a people between yourselves and whom is a treaty or those who come to you, their hearts strained at [the prospect of] fighting you or fighting their own people. And if Allah had willed, He could have given them power over you, and they would have fought you. So if they remove themselves from you and do not fight you and offer you peace, then Allah has not made for you a cause [for fighting] against them." (4:90)

"Say to those who have disbelieved [that] if they cease, what has previously occurred will be forgiven for them. But if they return [to hostility] - then the precedent of the former [rebellious] peoples has already taken place (8:38)."And if they cease, then indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful. 2.192"And if they incline to peace, then incline to it [also] and rely upon God . Indeed, it is He who is the Hearing, the Knowing (8:61)."

You are transgressing if you continue to fight those who have surrendered and asked for peace. Killing such people instead of showing mercy to them is unlawful, as made clear by the above verses. 

~*~*~*~*~*Do not kill innocent people~*~*~*~*~*

Transgressing also includes taking the lives of those whom Allah and the Prophet have not allowed. 

"And do not approach immoralities - what is apparent of them and what is concealed. And do not kill the soul which Allah has forbidden [to be killed] except by [legal] right. This has He instructed you that you may use reason." (Quran 6:152)

What are some examples of people who should not be killed, especially in cases of war? You can find the answer to that in these two hadith:

"I advise you ten things: Do not kill women or children or an aged, infirm person. Do not cut down fruit-bearing trees. Do not destroy an inhabited place. Do not slaughter sheep or camels except for food. Do not burn bees and do not scatter them. Do not steal from the booty, and do not be cowardly." (Bukhari)

"Do not behave treacherously, nor misappropriate war-booty, nor mutilate [those whom you kill], nor kill children, nor the people in cloisters (those who uphold the peace treaties)." (Tirmidhi)