Introduction to HALAL Food

Growing up as a Muslim in the United States, I used to struggle with the fact that there were so many local food chains that I couldn't eat from and snacks that I wasn't allowed to buy. I remember going on a field trip in the second grade (I think to the Crayola Factory or some type of museum? I can't remember where exactly), and when it was break time, we all had the option to eat lunch from home or order from the cafeteria. One of the restaurants at the cafeteria was McDonalds, which is notable for having those happy meals with the free toys inside. So of course, being a group of only 7 and 8 year olds, the majority of my class decided that they wanted to order from McDonalds. 

But as it turns out, pretty much everyone decided to order from McDonalds. I honestly don't remember a single kid who was sitting at their table without a damn happy meal in front of them. And upon realizing this, I felt so left out that I actually started crying. I cried like a baby realizing that I was the only one who didn't order a happy meal, that I wasn't allowed to eat cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets (or whatever the hell is in those things 😂) like everyone else. I cried when the other kids made fun of me for choosing to bring a packed lunch. But worst of all...I cried realizing that I was the only one who didn't get a free toy.

So there I was, sulking in my own misery and low-key wishing that I wasn't Muslim, just so that I can take part in the same things that everyone else was taking part in...subhanAllah.

But that was 12 years ago. I'm a 20-year-old adult now, thank God, and (for the most part) no longer a pathetic crybaby. It no longer upsets me knowing that I can't eat certain foods, or engage in the same acts as many of my American peers do. On the contrary, I feel quite grateful for it. I now know that Allah does not forbid a person from anything unless there is a valid and logical reason behind it, such as to protect us from harm. 

And the reason why I wasn't allowed to order a happy meal, or eat any chicken or beef from most fast food restaurants, is exactly what I'm going to be talking about in these next few chapters..and boy you guys are in for some tea ☕︎☕︎

Because during my freshman year of college, my English professor actually showed us a documentary film showcasing what really goes on in the fast food industry, and (spoiler alert) it's absolutely sickening.

The film is called Food, Inc. and I highly recommend watching it. Y'all deserve to know where your cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets are really coming from. 

I've included a preview to the movie above. Be sure to watch it! This will hopefully give you some insight as to why Muslims have food restrictions in the first place, and will serve as an introduction to what Halal food really is. My next chapter will go into more detail, so stay tuned!