chapter 6

After a little while, Cherry decided to catch up with Zak and Crysta. She walked to see Zak with his hair soaking wet from his swim with Crysta. 

"You okay, buddy?" Cherry asked.

"Fine," Zak panted, trying to catch his breath. He grabbed on a tree and felt a sting on his palm. "Yowch!"

"You okay? Did you get a splinter?" Cherry saw glowing red stuff on his fingers. 

"No, but I feel..." Zak looked up at the tree. He saw that it wasn't a free tree and now had ropes and things all over it. "It's pain...." he echoed, remembering what Crysta had told them.

"The water's become oil too." Cherry pointed.

Zak turned. He didn't want to believe her, but she was right. Because of him and the others, FernGully was becoming everything Batty said it was going to be. But it wasn't their fault because they were humans. Zak even put his hand in to see how bad the oil was in the water and the oil wouldn't come off his hand. Crysta was right, the machines were monsters and they were all going to die. Cherry heard Hexxus's laugh again and began to panic.

"We gotta get out of here!" Cherry whimpered.

"Why?" Zak looked at her. "What's happening?"

"He's coming!" Cherry grabbed Zak's hand and ran with him to get away before they would be destroyed. "Where's Crysta?"

"She went to find the Magi, but we better hide!" Zak said as he saw the machine coming closer, nearly killing the fleeing animals.

Cherry and Zak went further to where the machine would take a little while longer to catch up to them. Cherry panted and felt very weak. She hadn't eaten in a very long time. Zak saw her nearly starving and took out an old chocolate bar from his pocket. "Here, before you die."

"Oh, Zak, I couldn't take that away from you..."

"I insist, here."

"Thanks kid." Cherry took the bar and ate it to keep up her strength and energy.

"This has to be some kind of nightmare, if its bad here, just imagine how bad it looks above the canopy." Zak replied. 

"I imagine it's Hell on Earth Day." Cherry sighed. "What're we gonna tell Crysta? She's gonna hate us now!"

"Don't you think I already know that?" Zak glared, then sighed. "She'll never trust humans again and it's all our faults!"

"Yeah, but mostly yours! I wish Katie were here!"

"What's she gonna do?"

"Well when I'm down, Katie's always been there for me when I need a pick me up. If my friend Paige were here, she'd tell me to shut up and get over it. If my friend Sam were here, she'd probably smack some sense into Ralph, Tony and Whitney. If my friend-"

"You have a lot of friends back home." Zak said.

"Yeah, I guess I do, more than I could ever ask for." Cherry smiled.

Zak noticed she was done eating the chocolate now and stood up. "Come on, we better find Crysta."

"Now?" Cherry whined. "I just sat down!"

Hexxus laughed wickedly, making Cherry stand straight up.

"Let's get out of here." Cherry said quickly.

"Yes, let's." Zak agreed.

The two then began running again. They ran deep into FernGully to look for Crysta and the Magi, but weren't sure where to look. And it was getting dark, almost time for night. Pips then flew up to them as they came closer to the forest kingdom. "Hey, what's going on you two?" Pips greeted.