Chapter Three: Uninterested

Peeking under the door, the young girl watched Thranduil planning in his study. Filled with curiosity and being only five years old, Anawrete soon opened the door a few inches and proceeded in viewing through the gap she had created. The Elvin king was too focused on the papers at his desk that he did not notice when she had entered until his eyes were drawn to the top of her head which suddenly appeared at the side of his table. He did not give her another thought and proceeded to ignore her; planning for the spring was his priority. He shifted the papers before finding the one he was looking for as the young girl watched on. Thranduil was about to collect his pen when Anawrete touched him. He looked down to find the invasive girl crawling into his lap. Dispite the Elvin king's unwelcoming glance, she managed to sit firm upon him with a bright smile. Anawrete soon reached for one of Thranduil's papers, wanting to 'help', but he slipped it from her grasped, "Where is Tauriel?" Anawrete leaned back against him as she gave a soft sigh, "I woke up before Naneth". It was still rather early and since Tauriel was still asleep, handlers were not yet assigned to Anawrete for today. Thranduil, feeling very bothered by this small child, furrowed his brow as he called for his son, "LEGOLAS!"

Legolas carried Anawrete in on his shoulders. There were remains of snow on their clothing as they filled the hall with laughter. The child tapped Legolas on the head to signal that she wanted his attention. "What is it Anawrete?" he asked. Being that it was Tauriel who raised her from birth, it was easy for the young girl to believe Tauriel to be her mother---and understandably she was. While having a Naneth figure, Anawrete was aware that she did not have an Adar. She knew that Tauriel and Legolas were close but not as close as the married couples that existed in Mirkwood, therefore in her understanding Legolas was her mother's brother, making him her uncle. Since Legolas referred to Thranduil as 'Ada', her brain believed the king of Mirkwood was her grandfather however distant from her he appeared to be.  In one of Anawrete's hands she held a single yellow flower that they found outside thriving despite the winter, "Can I go give this flower to grandfather?" Legolas winced remembering how furious Thranduil was that she had gone to bother him, "I can give it to him for you". The prince's words did not satisfy her, "I want to see if it will make him less angry and cause him to smile," Anawrete revealed. "I will tell you if he smiles, don't worry", Legolas promised as they continued through the halls, "Are you hungry?"

They arrived in the kitchen before Anawrete was set down. She looked up at Legolas with a bright smile as she clutched her gift for Thranduil. Having grown fond of the child, the prince smiled back down at her before saying, "One day you will be too big to sit on my shoulders. Now what is it that you have an appetite for?" The young girl did not waste a second, she knew what she wanted. "Strawberries!" Anawrete erupted from were she stood. With laughter Legolas made his way to the pantry and took down the barrell of strawberries. He selected a few and proceeded to wash them in a bowl using a pitcher of water. Anawrete's eyes grew when she witnessed him place sugar into a separate bowl before topping it with the berries he just washed. "Naneth doesn't allow me to eat them with sugar", she confessed. Legolas handed her the bowl regardless, "Naneth doesn't have to know". "What doesn't Naneth need to know?" Tauriel asked as she came into the room. Anawrete already had sugar on her cheeks and red juice from the strawberries stained on her winter coat. Tauriel rolled her eyes at the prince, "I'm afraid to ask what else you two have been up to".

"Uncle and I went outside to play!" Anawrete answered between mouthfuls, "We killed many snow-orcs! I punched one in the stomach and he died!" Tauriel met Legolas's smile before saying, "I see. I bet Uncle Legolas taught you a few moves from when he fought in the War of the Ring". Anawrete nodded her head as she finished the last of her strawberries. Tauriel took from her the empty bowl and handed it to Legolas, "Now that you have had breakfast, I can give you a bath". She picked up the girl she claimed as her daughter and started their leave from the room.

Legolas cleaned up the bowl and put it away before he turned to see the yellow flower Anawrete had left. He crouched to the ground and held the stem delicately between his fingers. As he looked over the flower's details, he decided that he would go to his father after all. Despite how Thranduil perceived the human girl, she loved and admired him regardless. Legolas willed himself to walk closer to where the king would be until he was standing right outside Thranduil's study room. Legolas knocked twice before pushing the door open slightly, "Ada?" A Few seconds of silence hung in the air before he received an answer, "What is it Legolas?" The prince gave himself the liberty to open the door fully and enter the room. Looking up from his desk, Thranduil wore a faint expression of annoyance. Still fuming about earlier, he was clearly uninterested in what matters his son came to interrupt him with. The flower remained in Legolas's hand as he stood there, silence eating away at the time and space between them. Eventually he managed to toss the flower unto his father's desk and said, "Anawrete wanted to give that to her grandfather". Thranduil's eyes fell hard unto the flower before he pushed it unto the floor, "I am not he".